Rolling Thunder Forums

Versions of SNFindPath

cestvel

Cestvel,

I just encountered my first error message.

"failed with hr=-2147467259"

I received this when I loaded the data file. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Lord Uriel

if this on a pc where you could use it on other mdbs, than that mdb is kind of defective. Maybe the rights are not right or another program has an exclusive lock on it. The error code by microsoft says, that the file could not be found (mainly the path is mentioned). Try to put the mdb in

another directory.

Marcus

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to get SNFindPath to run on a Mac using wine.

Fetch yourself the utility port for the Mac. Install wine with it.

Fetch yourself winetricks and use it to install jet.

Now extract SNFindPath into your winde drive_c.

Copy your mdbs under drive_c/SNROTE.

Start SNFindPath with wine (e.g. wine .wine/drive_c/SNFindPath.exe.

If all goes right you should get the known dialog and window afterwards.

I was able to get SNFindPath to run on a Mac using wine.

Fetch yourself the utility port for the Mac. Install wine with it.

Fetch yourself winetricks and use it to install jet.

Now extract SNFindPath into your winde drive_c.

Copy your mdbs under drive_c/SNROTE.

Start SNFindPath with wine (e.g. wine .wine/drive_c/SNFindPath.exe.

If all goes right you should get the known dialog and window afterwards.

I will try this at weekend, I haven't been able to work out exactly what I need to download to do all of that.. but I will and let you know :}

As soon as you talk about something to do with a PC it gets complicated, if it was Mac native it would just work and we would never have to question how or why... I like my secure Mac Bubble :}

• 3 months later...

A new version of SNFindPath is available: SNFindPath.zip

It fixes the situation when you enter an unknown system through a known WP so that an SS is omitted.

You will still have this problem when you enter an unknwon system where you have knowledge of a WP though an EXPL.

Also in this version is a suggestion from a board member to show the added fuel costs per jump.

If you do not like the Yellow Circles in the Graphviz export, just remove the lines with "yellow" in it.

The first needed line after these is a line with a "->" in it.

I more than second that, makes finding your enemies so much more easy! A great contribution to keeping the galactic highways ordered!

Cheers

/Locklyn

• 3 months later...
Would there be any way to have a drop down menu to set different parameters for the graphviz export? Such that node shape, width, height, and fillin color could be chosen for the export file.

You can always edit the resulting "map" (or dot) file with the text editor of your choice. Also, if you are using graphviz, there are a whole host of amazing utilities for doing all sorts of pre-processing. I have one script that strips star clusters that don't connect to the main map. Another script "colors" the map.

I'm not sure how how many nodes are in your graph, but eventually neato (and definitely dot) will no longer work for you. There is a really nice new layout engine that don't run in quadratic space and is many times faster, I use the following:

sfdp -v -s300 -Gsize="17,11" -Tpdf:cairo:cairo input.map -o grand_map.pdf

This might save you some time and frustration.

John

P.S. I have to offer a *huge* thanks to the man who makes this process all possible, cestvel.

Ok not really too savvy on how Graphviz exactly works, or comp software stuff in general. So unfortunately I have no idea how to take the info you gave me and put it to use. I've been using dotty to create the map graphs I use. I had been using XP but am now doing it on a machine with Vista. I've only within the last week or so begun messing with editing and changing the graph to personalize it. I'm not seeing anything about sfdp in the stuff I downloaded from the Graphviz site.

Ok not really too savvy on how Graphviz exactly works, or comp software stuff in general. So unfortunately I have no idea how to take the info you gave me and put it to use. I've been using dotty to create the map graphs I use. I had been using XP but am now doing it on a machine with Vista. I've only within the last week or so begun messing with editing and changing the graph to personalize it. I'm not seeing anything about sfdp in the stuff I downloaded from the Graphviz site.

For a few empires map, you will only need dot or deato (dotty is only a frontend to dot). Dot produces a tree-like graph and

neato a spacy radial one. Both programs should be in the download you have made.

Would there be any way to have a drop down menu to set different parameters for the graphviz export? Such that node shape, width, height, and fillin color could be chosen for the export file.

Ah, I missed this one earlier.

Well, the amount of work may be not up to its usefulness (a simple query&replace in your prefered editor will fix the issue :woohoo:

But if I get bored, maybe I'll do something.

• 1 month later...

Version 2.19 is now available: http://www.cestvel.de/dl/SNFindPath219.zip

It has an option to remove the yellow stuff on the Graphviz export and fixes a bug with an SS in your convoy routes.

On a backsurv you now get an SS *after* the first surv in a new system. This is donw, because the data is only available then. This may add false entries to your unsurved list on the printout should the bug still be not fixed by Pete.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I have been playing SN:ROTE for 7 turns now, and I just d/l'd Findpath. Problem is, I am running a Linux system, using Wine for Windows programs. The SN:ROTE turn entry program runs fine under Wine, but when I tried FindPath, it loads OK, I get the window, but when I try to load a .mdb file I get the following error message:

one file selected: C:\snrote\1155.mdb

opening dbfile C:\snrote\1155.mdb

failed with hr=-2147221005

I tried Googling the "failed with hr=-2147221005" but found nothing which explained the error clearly. It appears to be something to do with .dll files - that is all I could figure out from the Google search.

I saw in a previous post ( referring to using Wine on a Mac), there was some reference to a program called Jet, which I gather is something to do with handling .mdb files, but I can't find anything about it in a Google search. I can find programs that looks at .mdb's in Linux (a program called MDBtools), but as the PathFinder program runs under Wine, I would need the equivalent Windows program. If anyone can provide pointers to what I should be looking for, I would be most grateful.

If I can't get this sorted, I my other option is to use my other (older) computer which is running XP, and run Pathfinder on that, (and GraphViz, which is really what I am after, printing and managing maps) but since I collect my email on, and my printer is connected to, my Linux machine, it would be annoying to have to keep transferring files between the two computers.

Any help of any kind will be gratefully received :-)

I'm pretty sure there's a Linux version of Graphviz, and you don't need SNFindPath to use it.

Excel does (and thus OpenOffice or LiberOffice should) connect to MDBs and pull info out of them.

Just pull all the information from the warp points table in the MDB and use Excel to format and concatenate the info into something you can paste into GraphViz.

If you need an example of the GraphViz code, I can provide, but it's pretty simple.

EDIT: Meh, here's the code.

Once you get your data table imported from the MDB, make a cell in each row with this code

=C2&" -> "&LEFT(D2,LEN(D2)-1)&" [taillabel="&RIGHT(D2,1)&"];"

Then you can have a separate worksheet with this in A1.

digraph map{
overlap=scale;
root=Homeworld;
Homeworld [shape=hexagon, color=green];			

and this in each subsequent cell.

=IF(warpdata!F2=0,"}",warpdata!F2)

So the final output looks something like

"digraph map{
overlap=scale;
root=Homeworld;
Homeworld [shape=hexagon, color=green];"
Homeworld -> Foo [taillabel=E];
Homeworld -> Bar [taillabel=E];
Homeworld -> Baz [taillabel=D];
Bar -> Baz [taillabel=D];
Foo -> Qux [taillabel=B];
Foo -> Quux [taillabel=B];
Foo -> Quuux [taillabel=C];
Foo -> Quuuux [taillabel=D];
}

and you can plug that straight into GraphViz, run it under sfdp layout (you can use neato for small maps, but get used to sfdp, it's just better), and make a purty map like mine!

map.png

Edited by Krelnett_of_Kraan