Rolling Thunder Forums

Naval Combat Primer

RTGPete

If there are multiple empires each with naval commanders on one side of a battle, the leader fire control bonus is calculated for each allied empire and the results are summed. This is superior to making one calculation using all of the leaders on one side due to the effeect of the square-rooting formula.

How do you determine allies since the diplomacy settings only affect ROE. For example, if I am Allied with two other empires and a fight ensues between them, what determines what 'side' I am on for puproses of the battle? :D

Signed, Innocent Bystander :nuke:

Whichever side got your last delivery is the 'side' you are on. <_<

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've experienced both conditions. In some cases, a destroyed fleet takes a special character with it. In others the special character still appears on the turn results and is usable. My take on this is that there is a random number generated at the destruction of the fleet, and if the special charcter makes his roll, he made it to the lifepods in time and survives. Otherwise he goes down with the ship.

I'm still curious what happens to naval officer FC ratings when a side is destroyed in a battle. Again, I'm talking a multi-empire situation, say 2 vs 2. I understand that FC due to bridge systems is recalculated, but what about naval officer FC calculations?

If during the course of the battle, one empire is eliminated making it a 2 vs 1 situation, does the FC that came with eliminated empire due to naval officers vanish? Or, is the naval officer FC calculation made only once at the beginning of battle, then maintained throughout the entire combat despite losses? Please comment Pete.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

*major bump*

Been discussing naval battles and specific items/happenings during them. We basically are unsure how things are really working versus what we've been told. I would like responses from RTG on these questions since they are the final authority and have the correct answers.

1) Dep Locs: I have a nifty chart detailing how different weapons range categories do damage at various Dep Locs. Are Dep Locs currently used? If so, how do they affect the battle and weapon damages? For instance: Point Blank category weapons do 200% damage at Dep Loc 1 and drops off from there quite quickly (at least with the old table I have.). Could we have a current version of that table and a clear explanation of how it affects naval combat?

2) CIDS and Maneuverability: Are these mitigations applied seperately to missiles/fighters/drones? For instance, Ship A is chucking lots of missiles at Ship B. Ship B has 50% maneuverabilty and 80% Missile Defense. Is the maneuverabilty mitigation applied to the damage first and then the missile defense mitigation? Are they combined somehow? And how does that affect fighters? Are the fighters affected first and thusly fewer fighters get to fire that combat pulse? Or do the fighters fire first and then some get shot down by the mitigation? From what I've heard on drones is that all get launched at once mitigation happens from there. Having a clear and current explanation would be very helpful.

3) Warp point assaults: I've heard that ships coming through the warp point during combat don't get to fire on their first pulse through the warp point. Is this accurate? Or do they show up and fire on the same pulse?

Hopefully RTG can provide some clear, up-to-date, accurate answers to these questions.

Sakarissa :angry2:

The Circle

Missiles, torpedoes, fighters, and drones are very confusing.

AP of 8 gives 50 percent protection against missiles if that is so then a reasonable number of CIDS could make missiles useless.

I have however heard that the AP only defends against missiles and torpedoes.

And CIDS only defends against items that have to be replaced when destroyed like fighters.

In general, I have just put all ships in slot one, as the combat primer is wrong on how things work.

*bump*

I'm not letting this one lie. We need to know the rules of how combat is conducted in different situations. I'm not asking for the formulas and math behind the combat engine. I just want to know, in plain English, how the rules for combat are currently set. It is something all players need to know so we can plan effective defenses and offenses.

Sakarissa <_<

The Circle

• 3 months later...

I have a question in regards to defensive systems. I read in the SN:ROTE manual that defensive systems create an umbrella for the entire fleet.

So if I understand this right, it means that if I have a fleet with 10 ships and 1 of those ships as some type of armor coating (say reflective armor coating), does that mean that defense is provided to every ship (i.e. the entire fleet)?

And if so, does that also mean it's effectiveness has been reduced? If 10% of the one ship had the armor coating, then the effectiveness of it being 10% is now much smaller?

Thanks.

I have a question in regards to defensive systems. I read in the SN:ROTE manual that defensive systems create an umbrella for the entire fleet.

So if I understand this right, it means that if I have a fleet with 10 ships and 1 of those ships as some type of armor coating (say reflective armor coating), does that mean that defense is provided to every ship (i.e. the entire fleet)?

And if so, does that also mean it's effectiveness has been reduced? If 10% of the one ship had the armor coating, then the effectiveness of it being 10% is now much smaller?

Thanks.

Nope, the only defensive system, to my knowledge, that has an umbrella mechanic are the fighters (perhaps drones as well) with their Point-Defense against missiles. All other systems only work for the ship they are on.

• 1 month later...

The Naval combat Primer was released for review and comment only. It has never been implemented. There was some talk about going that route as a mod to the game but it didn't happen. I don't recall exactly why at the moment. However, not everything in the Primer was new or a change. It tricky bit is figuring out which parts were always a part of the code and which ones weren't.

Did you have a specific question as to how things work?

:angry2: