Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 74 on the board

heavyB

In the Red Sea, several nautical miles due south of the Sinai Peninsula.

Abd-Al-Aziz, was trawling near the coast, all the while cursing under his breadth. Fisherman by trade, and captain of his own boat. But the recent war with Egypt had completely changed his life style. He, and his vessel, had been drafted / comandeered by the Saudi government, to serve as an auxillary in the Saudi naval forces...

It was hard enough eeking out a meager existance as it was. But now he was forced to trawl with sweeping wires, in order to cut the mine cables which were supposedly in the area. Why him!? He was no sailor. And why with his own boat?! Couldn't the government afford specialized craft? What compensation would he recieve, should something dreadful happen - like actually encountering a mine head on?! Abd-Al-Aziz shook his head. What a strange fate had befallen him of late. Back to cursing, as it gave him solace in these times...

What's that noise in the distance? Sounds like a low droning of sorts...?

It is getting louder. Abd-Al-Aziz, faced east, towards the impending source. Then - he is immediately tacken aback - by what his eyes come to see!...

Hundreds, and hundreds of air craft dot the sky. No. It was more than that. They now completely filled the sky overhead, and still more could be seen coming from over the eastern range of hills. Thousands. There must be thousands of air craft. All crossing the Red Sea and heading for Egypt. By the grace of Allah - never has such a wonderous sight ever been held by his eyes!

Twin engined Junkers, gull winged Junkers, twin engined Heinkels, and twin engined Focke-Wulfs, blotted out the sky in wave upon wave, and formation after formation. Over four thousand Saudi air craft in all! Abd-Al-Aziz whispered a prayer: "May Allah have mercy upon the souls of those that will surely perish from the wrath of this air amarda today..."

With such an awe inspiring event, one could not help but sense the greatness of Saudi Arabia. And for the first time, since he had been drafted, Abd-Al-Aziz was now proud to be a member of the King's auxilary navy...

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oral debrief, of Flight Seargent Wafi. Navigator/wireless operator of aircraft 12, of the 5th Medium Bomber Squadron, fourty minutes after having landed at his home field.

... We had just passed the Ju-88's on the way in, or, should I say, they passed us on their way back out. A few thousand meters below, and off to port. We were still 20 minutes out from the target area, when it occured. Perfect timing. At least we then knew that the 88's had stayed on schedule. No visible dammage could be seen on them, none were trailing fuel or smoke, and none were straggling behind. This was encouraging to the whole crew...

In the distance, directly ahead, a huge dark grey pillar of smoke could be seen. Estimate it rose to about 18,000 meters altitude, whereby it would veer west, along with the prevailing wind condition, and it was easily 8,000 meters wide too. The 88's had surely hit something flamable, perhaps fuel stores. Radio silence, prevented any other information, other from what we could visibly make out...

If all was going well ahead, the 87's should be at the end of their own attack runs now. Our pilot pulled up slightly, without increasing power. The flight leader must have decided that we were approaching too quickly, and wanted to give the 87's a few extra moments over target. Lest our own attack wave, arrive and interfere. This made me slightly more agitated. We were "last wave in", and our craft are not known for their speed. The skies were crystal clear, and our 111's would be prime targets for the enemy flack - or worst, if any enemy fighters were loitering about...

14 minutes, or there abouts, afterwards - I had signaled the pilot that we were here. But it was needless information to him. The target area was clearly marked from the rising cloud of smoke. Every one knew, but I was mindful of my duties, never the less. I never saw the 87's. They must have been too low, on their way back out, and my position in the cockpit does not afford the view of the pilots, or the bombadier...

The flight leader didn't start the shallow glide, on his attack run. Instead he banked out to starbord, and then started a slow circle in towards port. Circumnavigating the target area. I stood up, and chanced a gaze out the forward nacelle windows. I was curious as to what was going on...

The smoke was extremely thick and black towards the ground. I could see some large fires through it. There was also many smaller fires, burning all over the place. The entire area was so obscured, that the flight leader must have decided to do a fly past, and ascertain the dammage already suffered by the target. I think I saw parts of the runway, completely cratered. Then again, it could have been just dark spots in the smoke. It was very hard to tell. No flak, what so ever, nor tracer fire, rose up from below. I assumed the 87's must had done a bang up job in suppression...

After a complete circle of the target, two green flares were seen from the flight leaders' air craft. That was the signal for "Change of Plan". Meant that the rest of us were to circle and watch his attack run. After that, we would split into squadrons and follow suit on wherever he dropped. Somehow, I still assumed it was going to be somewhere in the midst of that smoking cauldron, just off of center, perhaps. Instead, he did a glide bomb attack, on the towns small railway marshaling yard (!)...

Each squadron, in succession then followed suit, of course. The confidence in our officers, and disciplin of the Saudi air corps, would not have had otherwise. Still, I was somewhat perplexed. We were carying bomblet clusters, for soft targets, such as hangars. The dammage to a hard target, such as this, would be minimal at best. The flight leader must have figured the primary target had been destroyed already, or so I figured...

The lead squadrons loitered, and offered what cover we could, while waiting for the rest of the wave to follow suit. Then all the squadrons reformed into our respective boxes, and headed due east. Our whole crew, and especially the gunners, stayed on fighter alert till we were nearly crossed back over the Red Sea. At which point, we saw some of our own 109's patrolling the area. Now we started to relax, somewhat, as we were now relatively safe. Only having to navigate the desert sands till we reached our base...

As far as I can tell, we didn't lose anybody...

From the front page of the 'Saudi Sun' (Government Approved Edition)

Saudi Air Forces Obliterate Libyan Bomber Base!

Yesterday, over 4,000 Saudi air craft conducted a suprprise raid (low level tactical base strike, in military jargon), near a leased Egyptian town [actual name witheld for reasons of national security ], south of xCairo.

Saudi Intelligence has reported that photo-recon flights over the area, later on in the day, distinctly showed the wreckage of 2,156 Libyan bombers. Actual air craft destroyed, is estimated closer to the number of 3,240, and may well exceed the 4,000 mark.

Surprise was so complete, that the enemy ran from their positions, when the air armada suddenly appeared over them. No resistance was encountered over the target area. And not one single Saudi flying machine was lost, in the entire operation.

Air Marshal Sultan, is credited with having followed the King's (Krysia's Krusader) plan perfectly. Our King called him "a most trusted and loyal servant of his majesty". After news of the raid's success; the King dispatched a breif statement to the heroic air crews, following their return...

"Yes, my faithful servants, I your beloved monarch, accept the fact, that the brilliance of my plan, could bring no less, the fruitful results, than what was achieved today. There is no doubt, that my Grand Strategic Visions... blah-bla-bla... I suffer all the burdens... blah-bla-bla... My strength will carry us through... blah-bla-bla... Magnimonously humble, that is me... Blah-bla-bla... I am great... blah-bla-bla..."

Thanks to the brilliance of our King, granted through the will of Allah, the evil Libyan bomber force has effectively been destroyed!

Furthermore; this was the base of the same Libyan air groups, which conducted their notorious attack on the Red Crescent convoys at Amman, four days earlier.

If not for the timely arrival of General Al-Sallal, and the Saudi 44th Mechanized Corps, it is certain that they would have also targeted the Trans-Jordanian refugee camps, located in the countryside, as well.

Since (the Egyptian / Trans-Jordanian war) Saudi forces have nearly freed most of the Trans-Jordanian cities from the clutches of Egyptian tyranny - Saudi Intelligence, had decripted a message sent from Egypt to Libya, asking for assistance in its efforts to terrorize the populace of Trans-Jordan.

General Al-Sallal, already famous for his "Ruse at Sur" manuover (UAE war of liberation), further glorified himself, by having his divisions form a protective ring around the civilian encampments. The Saudi troopers bravely pointed all their weapons skyward, in order to distract the Libyan bombers, and bring attention to themselves, instead of the frightened civilians. In particular, the 22nd Mechanized Infantry division, selflessly martyred themselves in this heroic action.

• 3 weeks later...

Where's the Egyptian army?

:o

All I see are LDB's?

Where's the usual Libyan rhetoric?

:blink:

All I hear is wind, blowing from the desert.

When's my rail gun going to get to the front lines?

:P

I need some thing to entertain me during these seemingly quite episodes...

:blush: In a land far far away in a time long ago lived a poeple that lived to live off the wealth of others. Even these poeple had no contact with the Krusaders of Krysia if they even exist. Word of these Krusaders has been passed along in the campfires of the vikings but no viking has ever actually seen one of these Krusaders. What victorys do these Krusaders claim??? Have they overrun a nieghbor?

I, Halvdan the Swarty, am(was) the first viking to create a kingdom of the vikings combining Norway and Sweden under one ruler for the first time in history. Now we a ready reach across the seas.

What does Krysia dream of? Is Krysia a lady?

Halvdan the Swarty :D

You know, don...

You really have me stumped, as to what your trying to convey in your above post.

:blush:

I'm not certain how I should respond...?

( What's a "Viking"? I thought it was an aircraft design - of which I've rejected - from my aeronautical engineers.)

Lemme confer with the Shah and Sultan...

All right.

Although we have no Viking translaters, the STuPiDDD Council has managed to decipher some of the code...

:beer: In a land far far away in a time long ago lived a poeple that lived to live off the wealth of others.

This means we are to be entertained by a story.

:huh:

(Cookies and hot chocolate have been orderd in. :drunk: )

Even these poeple had no contact with the Krusaders of Krysia if they even exist.

Oooh. The plot outline, indicates a mystery.

:unsure:

Word of these Krusaders has been passed along in the campfires of the vikings but no viking has ever actually seen one of these Krusaders.

Look! We're famous already!

(I think)

What victorys do these Krusaders claim???  Have they overrun a nieghbor?

Hey. They don't know we've liberated the UAE, and Trans-Jordan...?

:huh:

I, Halvdan the Swarty, am(was) the first viking to create a kingdom of the vikings combining Norway and Sweden under one ruler for the first time in history. Now we a ready reach across the seas.

Okay. There's some action happening in the north. I wonder if this is connected to the Recent World Events - the Irish capturing xMurmansk? (Where ever that is...?)

:rolleyes:

What does Krysia dream of?  Is Krysia a lady?

Halvdan the Swarty <_<

I dream of having the largest harem in the world.

:P

As for the gender question; that's a loong story.

( Contact me by e-mail cocerning that one. I'm not going to post something like that, on a public forum. )

B)

I dream of having the largest harem in the world.

:beer:

As for the gender question; that's a loong story.

( Contact me by e-mail cocerning that one. I'm not going to post something like that, on a public forum. )

Soooo do you want to be entertained by the harem or do you dream of being a part of the harem? :drunk:

Halvdan the Swarty

:laugh: I think I am in love. I shall send a viking ship to the southern sea for my lovely Krysia. Many of my crew have not seen a live woman in many fortnights. Are the harems of your fine empire well stocked? Do you have any to spare?

The winters above the artic circle are much too cold to fight in so we talked it over with our brothers in mother Russia and decided we had better things to do with our lives than to freeze to death. I personnally would like to discover new lands. Like a new world on the other side of the sea and harems talked about around the roaring fires of the viking camps. Did Lief Ericson ever come back from the edge of the world????

:ninja:

Halvdan the Swarty

• 2 weeks later...

don;

I have a variety of females gracing my harem, from 5 different countries.

:oops::thumbsup:

KEB,

As of cycle 25, I count 19 countries still in the game. Could be a few more, but I haven't seen beyonde this number in the Recent World Events, for a while now.