Rolling Thunder Forums

"The SNROTE Reader" is now accepting....

EternusIV

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for the kind words and compliments.

The real praise belongs to all the people who take time out of their busy week to write something up for us to publish :D

BTW: We could use more advice columns and articles of fiction!! :huh::alien:

New Players: Don't be shy about submitting questions to Pete for publish in the newsletter. We're hoping that the newsletter can be a resource to assist you through player contributions and Q&A.

The upcoming one is a biggie (I apologize for the lengthy article on the basics of economy for new players -- includes some shorthand formulas and ideas for those working outside of spreadsheets. This was written between turn zero and turn one where many things had to be proven before being assumed.)

Sent off to RTG.

A big thanks to the other contributors :(

EDIT: Sorry :beer: Galaxy still in title. We changed it, added a photo and somehow it must have returned. We'll get it next time. Some breaks in the larger article were misplaced....we'll try to find the source of this. Something to do with changing formats.

One final thing.

Email subscribers (3 out of 4 times) receive the newsletter faster than through the boards. Feel free to supply us your email to Snrotenews@yahoo.com and we will add you to the list!

Many kudos to the effort put into this!  :(

Keep it up -- especially the new artwork.

I think it has inspired me to add a contribution of my own... I just need to make the time to write something up.  This is definitely adding a great element to the game.

-LX

My mind is still reeling from all that MATH!! :beer: but as always very entertaining and

informative.

thanks

Thanks Russ!

Looking forward to your submission, Mr. Xaar :)

Sorry about the math, General - we had a couple of other articles lined up that we slated for next week. I imagine that article is 20 pages longer than it needs to be...but if you ever wanted to see the math behind why we build iron mines when yields are decent in favor of SM/IC....there ya go! LOL

Very nice again, and interesting read.

Some comments on the economics treatise:

- On page 22 there is a mention of saving power when switching from RRCP to BIP for industrial complexes. However, industrial complexes don't use power, hence, there is no saving.

- For optimal production, the cut off should not be where the derivative for BIP = 0, but where the derivative for BIP = derivative for RRCP. This would detail your remark about "a little bit lower". For a starting empire, I = 5*Y - 100. If you have both Improved stripmines and Improved Industrial complexes, I = 5*Y - 390. Hence, if the yield is less than 20 for a beginning empire: don't build mines etc.

If you have improved stripmines and improved industrial complexes only, don't build mines etc if the yield is less than 78!

But, excellent work!

Very nice again, and interesting read.

Some comments on the economics treatise:

- On page 22 there is a mention of saving power when switching from RRCP to BIP for industrial complexes. However, industrial complexes don't use power, hence, there is no saving.

- For optimal production, the cut off should not be where the derivative for BIP = 0, but where the derivative for BIP = derivative for RRCP. This would detail your remark about "a little bit lower". For a starting empire, I = 5*Y - 100. If you have both Improved stripmines and Improved Industrial complexes, I = 5*Y - 390. Hence, if the yield is less than 20 for a beginning empire: don't build mines etc.

If you have improved stripmines and improved industrial complexes only, don't build mines etc if the yield is less than 78!

But, excellent work!

If you have ICM and ISM you are flodded in CM so you most likely will let your Mines run as they are. They do you no harm and as long as you need CM or can convert CM to ICM I would see no need to scrap the mines.

So mathematically correct i think it is of no concern in "real" life.

Hello Cestvel,

I agree that, as long as there are enough CM's, it does not matter for the homeworld. However, it does matter for my colonies.

Kind regards,

Yes AKO,

you are right, lol. I was not thinking about the new colonies.

But that hardly matters, as you build mines for the high yields there first.

Hello Cestvel,

I agree that, as long as there are enough CM's, it does not matter for the homeworld. However, it does matter for my colonies.

Kind regards,

Yes AKO,

you are right, lol. I was not thinking about the new colonies.

But that hardly matters, as you build mines for the high yields there first.

Not always!

Some colonies have very high light metal yields but I still go for the iron and crystals first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone:

Any advice columns out there? I'd hate to dust off another 5-billion page, highly dated and slightly erroneous treatise LOL

We'll be working hard to get the new newsletter out tonight or early tomorrow so please, if you have any contributions, send em in!

PS - we always need one-liners and rumors too

...  I'd hate to dust off another 5-billion page, highly dated and slightly erroneous treatise  ...

There won't be any gripes from me, if you do.

I, for one, very much enjoyed it, and am still trying to grasp and apprehend all the information it contained.