Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 85

Guest Spongebob

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Hunh?

Wha....what happened? :rolleyes:

Hey - Wake up! It was only a dream of Game 80.....

<sigh>

A bunch of key players dropping does have an adverse affect on a game doesn't it? Let's be honest though. Those same players would have freaked if the same had been done to them thus minimizing the excitement of the game. They'd be arguing that 'this is the kind of thing that kills a game.' Well it's not gonna kill it for me.

It seems that there are too many players that only wish to play Victory if they have a chance of winning the game, or at least being on the winning side. They should have been far more willing to try and make lemonade out of the lemons that had been handed to them. This could have been a major challenge for them that could have been very interesting for all involved.

Oh well. I'm gonna get busy making lemonade out lemons myself.

Actually...it was because two of the four in our group couldn't reliably get turns in....kinda made it no fun for the rest of us. We knew about Turn 20 that your alliance would win....you had taken a ton of unowned or dropped territory with little or no losses. That is the real flaw in the game, but something that Russ can't do much to prevent.

Jared

Well that does make it hard to continue. To be honest, we were as unhappy as anyone that there were dropped positions in the south. It takes the edge of the game. It seems that Hungary was facing the same situation in the Balkans. Little or no opposition.

The fact is that I think there are a number of ways players are currently driven to drop from games. This not only limits the experience of those that remain, but it also means Russ will have less money coming in. The current morale system is a huge factor in driving many players out of games.

While I strongly believe that morale still needs to be a facet of the game, I think the current system makes it too easy to push people out of the game. Once a nation's morale is negative the opportunities for it's opponents to permanently keep it negative and the almost total lack of realistic ways to recover such a battered morale helps convince such players to drop.

People can say all they want that any player that goes negative is just a crappy player, but just realize that you will very quickly be left with few if any players to play against.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<sigh>

A bunch of key players dropping does have an adverse affect on a game doesn't it? Let's be honest though. Those same players would have freaked if the same had been done to them thus minimizing the excitement of the game. They'd be arguing that 'this is the kind of thing that kills a game.' Well it's not gonna kill it for me.

It seems that there are too many players that only wish to play Victory if they have a chance of winning the game, or at least being on the winning side. They should have been far more willing to try and make lemonade out of the lemons that had been handed to them. This could have been a major challenge for them that could have been very interesting for all involved.

Actually...it was because two of the four in our group couldn't reliably get turns in....kinda made it no fun for the rest of us. We knew about Turn 20 that your alliance would win....you had taken a ton of unowned or dropped territory with little or no losses. That is the real flaw in the game, but something that Russ can't do much to prevent.

Jared

You know, on the one hand, the slugfest that happened with my alliance was based, at least in part, on Central Russia (who is now Baltic) being in a very intense, year long study program. A highly capable player, he could not beat Hungary when he was dropping turns every time because of an intense school workload. I was able to write some of his orders for him, but not enough to make a difference.

So I guess I am highly sympathetic to your plight but with a little tinge of "yeah, but..." too. We even survived the total conquest of our TA Rumania, but I know what you mean. Personally, I really enjoyed our slugfest, and was lucky a few critical turns when we were running on the same day. Heck, I am convinced that the reason I like this game so much is because victory generally goes to the player who has a few good ideas, but really the one who makes the fewest mistakes.

My 2 cents.

S

<sigh>

Jared

You know, on the one hand, the slugfest that happened with my alliance was based, at least in part, on Central Russia (who is now Baltic) being in a very intense, year long study program. A highly capable player, he could not beat Hungary when he was dropping turns every time because of an intense school workload. I was able to write some of his orders for him, but not enough to make a difference.

So I guess I am highly sympathetic to your plight but with a little tinge of "yeah, but..." too. We even survived the total conquest of our TA Rumania, but I know what you mean. Personally, I really enjoyed our slugfest, and was lucky a few critical turns when we were running on the same day. Heck, I am convinced that the reason I like this game so much is because victory generally goes to the player who has a few good ideas, but really the one who makes the fewest mistakes.

My 2 cents.

S

We stuck it out while Germany was sporadic...but when Hungary's personal life got in the way, we were simply not effective enough to keep it fun. It was one of the more fun games I have been in, and wish it could have continued, but so be it.....

Jaed

We stuck it out while Germany was sporadic...but when Hungary's personal life got in the way, we were simply not effective enough to keep it fun. It was one of the more fun games I have been in, and wish it could have continued, but so be it.....

Jaed

Yep. Great game! (So far, at least for me)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, there are only 9-10 turns left. I was wondering which countries are still in the game.

I dont ever recall seeing or hearing about Portugal and Spain over the last two and half years on the forum.

North Russia

Central Russia

Sweden

Baltic States

Persia

Turkey

Syria?

Tunisia?

Canada

Iceland

Great Britain

Ireland

Portugal?

Spain?

Well, there are only 9-10 turns left. I was wondering which countries are still in the game.

I dont ever recall seeing or hearing about Portugal and Spain over the last two and half years on the forum.

North Russia

Central Russia

Sweden

Baltic States

Persia

Turkey

Syria?

Tunisia?

Canada

Iceland

Great Britain

Ireland

Portugal?

Spain?

Pretty sure that Portugal and Spain have dropped.

• 1 month later...

So, is this what we are down to with only 6 turns to go?

Baltic States

Canada

Central Russia

Great Britain

Iceland

Ireland

Northern Russia

Persia

Sweden

Turkey

So - only 3 TA groups left? Correct?

Baltic States, Central & Northern Russia, Sweden

Canada, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland

Persia, Turkey

OK ~ Fixed per Pete's input. Thanks Pete!

Enjoyable game - thanks to my TA's for sticking by me when I needed it. You were all more than expected and I wish we could have saved our Finnish friend. Sorry Pete and TA's, but I still wish we could have saved him! Good game.

~ Earthling

Earthling-

Central Russia is TA'd with Sweden,Baltic, and North Russia.

Are you guys in North Africa yet?

I have that Lowland Marshal to be paroled. :laugh:

El Paso Pete

:laugh: I thought we exchanged him for the PAP a long time ago! ~ He still hasn't been released yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, is this what we are down to with only 6 turns to go?

Baltic States

Canada

Central Russia

Great Britain

Iceland

Ireland

Northern Russia

Persia

Sweden

Turkey

So - only 3 TA groups left? Correct?

Baltic States, Central & Northern Russia, Sweden

Canada, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland

Persia, Turkey

OK ~ Fixed per Pete's input. Thanks Pete!

Enjoyable game - thanks to my TA's for sticking by me when I needed it. You were all more than expected and I wish we could have saved our Finnish friend. Sorry Pete and TA's, but I still wish we could have saved him! Good game.

~ Earthling

So.... not a single country from the European mainland is still playing? Wow, i haven't seen that before. :)

So.... not a single country from the European mainland is still playing? Wow, i haven't seen that before. :)

It's not the first time - but it's been a while. In this game the Central Powers all warred against one another (& the peripheral TA Blocks) for most of the game, weakening themselves until the peripheral nations were able to regroup and and mount invasions mid-game. I personally believe it was the legendary stand at xBrussells by the Lowlander army that led to the Central Powers downfall - :D Shameless plug, I know: But, one of the big deals was when two of the peripheral TA blocks agreed to a cease fire/detente that allowed them all to regroup and make invasions into Germany as well as locations to break the Central Powers hold on the game. It frustrated both major TA blocks in Central Europe and they eventually dropped all together when invaded from all directions. I am guessing they will tell you a different story though......that's just my take on what happened.

Well, the former Lowland player is still playing, he he he.... :woohoo:

I see earthling is claiming T73 in the footnotes, and its only turn 67. Mighty bold. :blush:

I'm not going anywhere...... :) There isn't much left to do for me except exterminate former Central Powers' stuff that's been laying around for a while. My score will be a low one, but I will survive!