Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 85

Guest Spongebob

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Hello Hello . Is anybody here here here.

No. Nobody is here except for the ghosts of Oulu.

Those ghosts are spooky. They still remind me how it took me too long to get south to interdict the central european bulldozer as a result of that long siege. Even though I have killed >18,000 ARM in the last 6 turns, they still keep coming!

<sigh>

General Vladimir "the Bludgeon" Slicer

Northern Russia MoD

Hello Hello Hello . Is anybody here here here.

No. Nobody is here except for the ghosts of Oulu.

Those ghosts are spooky. They still remind me how it took me too long to get south to interdict the central european bulldozer as a result of that long siege. Even though I have killed >18,000 ARM in the last 6 turns, they still keep coming!

<sigh>

General Vladimir "the Bludgeon" Slicer

Northern Russia MoD

We've destroyed quite a few ARM and AIR points ourselves. I appreciate you continuing to throw your aircraft into the grinder.... You have been quite fortunate to be due the same day yet to run first on the two critical battle turns. Things would have turned out quite differently otherwise. However, Germany and I have continued to hold the line against you (and Sweden, and what's left of Baltic, and some of CRussia)....so we've done our jobs. It has made this game quite enjoyable, and I appreciate that you and your teammates have hung in their despite having no real growth over the last 20 or so TPs.

Jared

We've destroyed quite a few ARM and AIR points ourselves. I appreciate you continuing to throw your aircraft into the grinder.... You have been quite fortunate to be due the same day yet to run first on the two critical battle turns. Things would have turned out quite differently otherwise. However, Germany and I have continued to hold the line against you (and Sweden, and what's left of Baltic, and some of CRussia)....so we've done our jobs. It has made this game quite enjoyable, and I appreciate that you and your teammates have hung in their despite having no real growth over the last 20 or so TPs.

Jared

My Minister of Armaments is completely unable to give me a cost of the last 6 turns, but I think I have a slight edge (4 to 3 perhaps). And yes, things would have gone verrrrrrry differently had the reverse been true for order of turn execution....

To tell you the truth, the thing that has given me so much focus to fight so hard is the desire to make sure you did not benefit from the sneaky alliance move you two pulled on us as the beginning of the game - luring Baltic into attacking a Germany who had no TAs (in fact, weren't you two fighting a faux war to make the conquest of Austria not look like such a bad omen of things to come?). Ah well, you capitalized on that initially, but much like Finland's "never say die" attitude kept my forces fighting way too long there, so has it been with your forces against us.

You have to admit, there are few countries who have had such a small percentage of their homeland remaining who have fought on so gallantly as the Heroes of the Baltic States!

Those guys all deserve medals. I think we'll make them out of the slag that once was about 100 SS and T-34 divisions! There is PLENTY of metal to go around, so we'll make some for your armed forces too...of course, we'll also deliver them personally. :)

(BTW - you've been the most capable opponent that I've had yet...and I have done somewhat well for myself in Victory! - my TA's Game 80 foes were very good too, but I was not fighting them directly).

S

Jared

My Minister of Armaments is completely unable to give me a cost of the last 6 turns, but I think I have a slight edge (4 to 3 perhaps). And yes, things would have gone verrrrrrry differently had the reverse been true for order of turn execution....

To tell you the truth, the thing that has given me so much focus to fight so hard is the desire to make sure you did not benefit from the sneaky alliance move you two pulled on us as the beginning of the game - luring Baltic into attacking a Germany who had no TAs (in fact, weren't you two fighting a faux war to make the conquest of Austria not look like such a bad omen of things to come?). Ah well, you capitalized on that initially, but much like Finland's "never say die" attitude kept my forces fighting way too long there, so has it been with your forces against us.

You have to admit, there are few countries who have had such a small percentage of their homeland remaining who have fought on so gallantly as the Heroes of the Baltic States!

Those guys all deserve medals. I think we'll make them out of the slag that once was about 100 SS and T-34 divisions! There is PLENTY of metal to go around, so we'll make some for your armed forces too...of course, we'll also deliver them personally. :)

(BTW - you've been the most capable opponent that I've had yet...and I have done somewhat well for myself in Victory! - my TA's Game 80 foes were very good too, but I was not fighting them directly).

S

Nice air drop! Just another big pain in the butt for me to deal with!

Fortunately, I think I may have delivered a couple pains to C Russia and Turkey this turn.

Deathwalker

Nice air drop! Just another big pain in the butt for me to deal with!

Fortunately, I think I may have delivered a couple pains to C Russia and Turkey this turn.

Deathwalker

I have tried and failed in so many of those things that I was starting to lose hope. I snuck into a lightly defended soft spot, hurray for me! (If only I could do that to someplace critical!) I guess it wasn't your AIC1. Bummer. I suppose when stabbing in the dark, you don't look a gift horse in the AIC1, eh?

Besides, doesn't it feel better to beat up people who are actually putting up a struggle? Otherwise it is Desert Storm all over....that was a sad showing by the (now dead) Lion of the Arab World...

• 2 weeks later...

Jared

Those guys all deserve medals. I think we'll make them out of the slag that once was about 100 SS and T-34 divisions! There is PLENTY of metal to go around, so we'll make some for your armed forces too...of course, we'll also deliver them personally. :rolleyes:

S

I appreciate the compliment....this has been the best head to head fighting I've had as well, and I too have done well in the games I've played, including a game win in 76 and possibly another one coming up in 84 (it will be close between the two remaining alliances). Unfortunately, it looks like our alliance is going to be dropping out of this one. It was a tough decision, as this game has been very fun despite no real chance to win (by my estimates, Turkey and Persia are running away with it). To be honest, the main drivers were obstacles in real life affecting two of our team, time available for gaming versus several active games, and of my active games, this one is currently 4 vs 11 (with all but one or two remaining countries fighting against us, while not fighting with each other). 11v4 is just not practical. Hungary is fighting the top two positions in the game by himself, plus CRussia part time. Germany and Czech are engaged with Sweden, Baltic, CRussia, and NRussia. Germany is also getting attacked part time by Iceland, Britain, and Canada. Switzerland is fighting Portugal, Spain, Canada, Ireland, Britain, and Iceland. We previously retired Italy, Rumania, Poland, Austria, France, Lowlands, and Denmark. By my count...that is way too many enemies. We've held our own quite well due to solid early starts by Czech and Hungary against Austria, Poland, and Rumania....but the tide will ultimately turn from sheer numerical advantage and the inability to defend that many fronts. From my perspective, that will, over the remaining 23 turns, mean our ability to continue our enjoyable war will decline over time, as I have already begun to get siphoned off the help elsewhere. While I commend your willingness to hold your ground and fight it out early, it was easy since you were only fighting me initially. Germany didn't enter until much later (as we were not working together early, as your prior post suggested). What I find most remarkable (and somewhat disheartening) is that you somehow managed to get virtually every other player to fight against us - despite the fact that we were not likely to win given Turkey/Persia's position. Quite a nice diplomatic job....but unfortunately, you were so successful that it looks like you won't have your enemy to battle with after all. I'm probably not going to disband my units.....I feel you've earned the points through tenacity and skill. I look forward to another game were we are either allied together or fighting a more balanced war. For many of the first 40 or so turns in this game, it was largely 3v2 or 2v1 on our front, which was balanced enough to be quite enjoyable for both sides. Looking forward to meeting again....By the way....I've got comfortably over 60K ground kills at close....if you're willing to share, where are you at now?

Jared

• 2 weeks later...
So there is a 50-50 chance that you could go out with your buddy Kurassier. Or both survive :wub: Cant wait for those results.

If you survive, do you want to do the same city defense in Bergen? I'm sure Spongie with hate that! He doesnt get that all of Scandia is mine! Niether does your other bud, Iceland.

Actually its a 25% chance you both pass, 25% you both fail, and 50% that one of you go away. not that I am worrying about it. :ranting:

Far West Texas Pete, beyond Van Horn even.

Sandanavia is only yours until we come and take it from you. BS, NR, and CR are only speedbumps on the road to Stockholm.

Deathwalker

Hungary-85

Deathwalker- I HAD to go find this post. :python: I have had it on my mind for the past year. :robot: I guess you wont be coming to Stockholm, so we will come to BudaPest. :joker::drunk:

Maybe we will see each other in the next game. Good luck!

El Paso Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Hunh?

Wha....what happened? :rolleyes:

Hey - Wake up! It was only a dream of Game 80.....

<sigh>

A bunch of key players dropping does have an adverse affect on a game doesn't it? Let's be honest though. Those same players would have freaked if the same had been done to them thus minimizing the excitement of the game. They'd be arguing that 'this is the kind of thing that kills a game.' Well it's not gonna kill it for me.

It seems that there are too many players that only wish to play Victory if they have a chance of winning the game, or at least being on the winning side. They should have been far more willing to try and make lemonade out of the lemons that had been handed to them. This could have been a major challenge for them that could have been very interesting for all involved.

Oh well. I'm gonna get busy making lemonade out lemons myself.

Hunh?

Wha....what happened? B)

<sigh>

A bunch of key players dropping does have an adverse affect on a game doesn't it? Let's be honest though. Those same players would have freaked if the same had been done to them thus minimizing the excitement of the game. They'd be arguing that 'this is the kind of thing that kills a game.' Well it's not gonna kill it for me.

It seems that there are too many players that only wish to play Victory if they have a chance of winning the game, or at least being on the winning side. They should have been far more willing to try and make lemonade out of the lemons that had been handed to them. This could have been a major challenge for them that could have been very interesting for all involved.

Yummy. I like lemons. They make me pucker without gunfire! :rolleyes:

Hunh?

Wha....what happened? :rolleyes:

<sigh>

Actually...it was because two of the four in our group couldn't reliably get turns in....kinda made it no fun for the rest of us. We knew about Turn 20 that your alliance would win....you had taken a ton of unowned or dropped territory with little or no losses. That is the real flaw in the game, but something that Russ can't do much to prevent.

Jared