Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

I was just reviewing my lifeform. I am faving a hard time connecting teh modifiers shown in the rules with the modifeirs in my lifeform chart,

What is EXM??? Just how much trouble would I be in if it were a serious negative number?

What is ESM and DIP? SHould they be around Zero what opportunities would I be loosing?

Of course the hight SCM and RCM are quite understandable given my design but what are these other items???

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just reviewing my lifeform. I am faving a hard time connecting teh modifiers shown in the rules with the modifeirs in my lifeform chart,

What is EXM??? Just how much trouble would I be in if it were a serious negative number?

What is ESM and DIP? SHould they be around Zero what opportunities would I be loosing?

Of course the hight SCM and RCM are quite understandable given my design but what are these other items???

http://www.rollingthunderforums.com/index.php?showtopic=8

All three mentioned are not really important in the current state of the game.

Thanks!

Could anyone please elaborae on some guidelines for ship construction?

I would like some general frames of reference such as how many tons would make a Cruiser, Light Cruiser, Destroyer, Battleship, etc, etc,,,,

How many AP points for various ship classes would be good guidelines?

How much defensive/offisive tonnage should be allocated per ship class, etc,,....

• 2 weeks later...

Argh! Just got this week's turn results. I've yet to not make a mistake in submitting orders. Common blunders include: leaving out a 0, incorrect ordering in the production queue, forgetting to queue a basic component.. and .. and..

hopefully I'll get better at this with time

Thanks!

Could anyone please elaborae on some guidelines for ship construction?

I would like some general frames of reference such as how many tons would make a Cruiser, Light Cruiser, Destroyer, Battleship, etc, etc,,,,

How many AP points for various ship classes would be good guidelines?

How much defensive/offisive tonnage should be allocated per ship class, etc,,....

my only worries on ships are is the fuel tankage enough to be able to use the AP. If I have a ship of 20 AP how often do I want to stop and refuel on average.

Any ship 8 AP or higher gets max bonus to avoiding missiles, IE 50 percent.

I decide ship damage based on what i think the enemy has, found out in probes or previous battles. I usually only build small ships til i see what I am up against, I keep building the parts, but keep them in stock to build a ship when needed, so I can design it properly. If I am not at the end of a tech path, I will just build the components like adv electronics, til I either need a ship and can not wait for the final weapon, or until I get the items research done, and all I have to do is assemble it. I try to waste as little industry as possible on something that will be outdated soon.

Argh! Just got this week's turn results. I've yet to not make a mistake in submitting orders. Common blunders include: leaving out a 0, incorrect ordering in the production queue, forgetting to queue a basic component.. and .. and..

It never gets any better, there is not enough error checking in the turn entry program for my taste.

It never gets any better, there is not enough error checking in the turn entry program for my taste.

Viro - it will get better as you become more aquainted with the game mechanics;however, as Gary points out errors are inevitable. One of my favorites is transposing a WP number at the beginning of a long string of movements resulting in warping back and forth until you're out of fuel in a Nexus! As much as I error check, its still a rare occassion not to have at least one blunder in a turn.

I am confuesed about a Nuetral Population that has joined my empire.

I found 6 of the little beasties on Moon 3c of the Landfall star system.

I then did a PMAP of moon 3c to see what to do with them and got this result:

===========================================================================

-----PMAP (Planet Map)-----

PMAP: 103, c

** Sensor crews report that there is no Landfall-3c to be Mapped

================================================================================

=========================================

The report shows they are on Landfall-3 which was a Gas Giant.

What gives here??? Has the gas ginat been turned into some other kind of planet to support these 6 odd Nuetrals>

Any suggestions what I should do with them? Will the Population start to grow or die?

I am confuesed about a Nuetral Population that has joined my empire.

I found 6 of the little beasties on Moon 3c of the Landfall star system.

I then did a PMAP of moon 3c to see what to do with them and got this result:

===========================================================================

-----PMAP (Planet Map)-----

PMAP: 103, c

** Sensor crews report that there is no Landfall-3c to be Mapped

================================================================================

=========================================

The report shows they are on Landfall-3 which was a Gas Giant.

What gives here??? Has the gas ginat been turned into some other kind of planet to support these 6 odd Nuetrals>

Any suggestions what I should do with them? Will the Population start to grow or die?

You hit a long lived bug there.

Either tell Pete to move the colony back to moon c (which has even mysteriously vanished???? That is a new one, please recheck on that part, maybe it was on moon B) or let it live on the GG, becasue with 6 pop you cannot do much anyhow.

Unfortunately, most Neutrals aren't worth picking up. You get a handful of population, which is too few to start producing anything and not worth the effort of shipping home, and a scattering of items in the stockpile. Advanced Neutrals are a little better as some have advanced items in stockpile. This very turn, I picked up a Kodiak Gunboat from an Advanced Neutral.