Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

I am designing a transport ship to be used within my home system. So it won't be much more than a bit of colonial berthings, engines, and a crap ton of cargo bays. What is the benefit of putting Mk II Nuclear Engines on this design over Mk I? To achieve AP > 2, I would have to use something like 100,000 Mk II engines on, which isn't feasible at this point.

Considering the cost of the two engines is the same, I might as well put Mk IIs on board, just for the sake of bragging rights.

You have already identified the only advantage, the amount of thrust per ton of engine. You are correct that other than bragging rights, it does not make much sense to Mk IIs but there is also no disadvantage that I am aware of.

Well, not one that really matters at this point. Engines add also defensive for missile type weapons, so more engines equate to higher defense rating. But the difference between Mk I Nukes and Mk II Nukes is rather irrellevant. Usage for higher AP begins with Mk III Nukes or Mk I Fusions. They get feasible with Mk IV Nukes or Mk II Fusion.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the engine answers :)

Here's another: Is it worth building multiple Colonial Training Centers? The INST doesn't say anything about the effect stacking (or not stacking).

The 1 per 100 pop/popgroup rule applies here as well.

Cheers

/Lars

Thanks for the engine answers :)

Here's another: Is it worth building multiple Colonial Training Centers? The INST doesn't say anything about the effect stacking (or not stacking).

would not waste CM on them on high pop worlds, I only use them to get positive pop growth on small colonies, they do not appear to be very effective.

• 2 weeks later...
Random Question: What's the average # of orbits per system (that you've seen)? And, how many did the largest system (in terms of # orbits) have?

Max usable orbit was 16 for me, max orbits+suborbits (a,b,c,...) was 36.

With an average of 11,02 orbits+suborbits.

Well, that is my data.

While I can't say that I've seen anything like as many as the core players, I've 'visited' at least an estimated couple of hundred systems all told - never seen more than a 'd' moon with any of them. Largest number of planets and moons combined was 40 (not too many of these big 'uns about in my neck of the universe).

Correction (I got curious) - 500 systems visited in total

Yes, using the LC order will move divisions into a fleet as long as there are free troop berthings to house them in the fleet. If you wish to move troops from an army into a fleet, simply use the EAF order.

Sakarissa :woohoo:

The Circle

Do be aware if you utilize the LC order it will load what you have stockpiled in alphabetical order - so you may end up with a lot of Imperial Army Soldiers instead of the troops you intend.

If I delete some standing orders out of a group of 10 standing orders so that I have priority numbers of 100, 120, 140, 160, 180 left, and then issue a new set of 5 standing orders will the new orders have priority numbers of 190, 200, 210, 220, 230?

Or does the game system fill in the missing priority numbers so that the new 5 standing orders would have priority numbers of 110, 130, 150, 170, 190 effectively filling in the spots I just edited out?