Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I just found my first "one Way" warp point. II jumped through a warp point and the next turn issues a sSS order and a WARP order 9just to verify it was a two way warp point.

Turns out my system scan showed a Nexus wiht two unexplored warp points and no warp point leading back to wear I cam from.

The results of my Warp were:

-----WARP (Warp Movement)-----

WARP: 102

** Imperial Astronomers indicate that Warp Point # 61169 has not yet been surveyed, precluding WARP operations through that

Point at this time

================================================================================

=========================================

It turns out when I entered the sytem it assigned to to one of these unexplored warp points.

Is this the fabled "one way" warp point? It exists in one system but not on the other end?

Do these become of any value latter in the game? Is there any value to exploring beyond them????

I think I just found my first "one Way" warp point. II jumped through a warp point and the next turn issues a sSS order and a WARP order 9just to verify it was a two way warp point.

Turns out my system scan showed a Nexus wiht two unexplored warp points and no warp point leading back to wear I cam from.

** Imperial Astronomers indicate that Warp Point # 61169 has not yet been surveyed, precluding WARP operations through that

Point at this time

================================================================================

It turns out when I entered the sytem it assigned to to one of these unexplored warp points.

Is this the fabled "one way" warp point? It exists in one system but not on the other end?

Do these become of any value latter in the game? Is there any value to exploring beyond them????

Although you've just traveled through from the start point, you still have to SURV it for the return journey (if it isn't one of the one-way WPs). Only way to find out is by doing the SURV, the WARP order won't work if the WP hasn't been checked first.

Point at this time

If you take it this way, then all warp points are one-ways. You need to survey both "ends".

What the forum means by one-ways is, that you come through a WP do a SS and a SURV and that the WP your were appearing at did not lead back to where you came from but to another system.

And the WP class of both ends need not be the same, so you may not be able to SURVey the WP back with your scout just now.

I hope this post clarified a bit.

One way WP's can be very valuable. They let you attack through them without immediate fears of reprisal. You can stage at the WP without fear of discovery and sometimes they wind up being shortcuts to key locations. However, most of the time they are a pain and early in the game they are an easy way to lose exploration ships and explorers.

Most of the time you will find a route back to your original location but it might take an additional 4-5 warps.

And then there is the system with a single one way WP in and a single one way WP out. Those can be fun as well.

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Encountered something that I had not known before and can't find mentioned in the rules or on this forum. It has to do with species design.

Pete told me there are only 10 slots in the database for Type A Combat features. Each occurance of a feature takes up one of these slots so if you had ten defensive spikes, you would not be able to have any fangs,tusks,horns etc.

Encountered something that I had not known before and can't find mentioned in the rules or on this forum. It has to do with species design.

Pete told me there are only 10 slots in the database for Type A Combat features. Each occurance of a feature takes up one of these slots so if you had ten defensive spikes, you would not be able to have any fangs,tusks,horns etc.

Is there a question in there somewhere?

• 2 weeks later...
He was just passing on a rather useful bit of info he picked up on for people playing with genetic enhancements of their population, high-lighting limitations on availability.

Oh, ok. Because I remember that being in the original species design worksheet at the beginning of the game.

He was just passing on a rather useful bit of info he picked up on for people playing with genetic enhancements of their population, high-lighting limitations on availability.

Oh, ok. Because I remember that being in the original species design worksheet at the beginning of the game.

I for one am unable to remember everything I've read and seen over a period of years, so the occasional reminder here and there is appreciated. (That may sound like a wannabe sarcastic come-back, but it is nothing of the sort - it should be read as the simple statement it is).

O.K. Folks, this weeks beginners question concerns the calculation of JSS strength:

I believe that 4 JSS of a prevision version will give a similar JSS strength of the next lvl (e.g. 4 x Mk III JSS = 1 Mk IV JSS) or rather that it will crack a same lvl warp point (i.e. 1 Mk IV will crack an E as will 4 Mk IIIs)

My question is regarding calculating the JSS strength of a ship with multiple types off JSS. Assuming the above is correct would you substitute 4 MK IIIs for 1 Mk IV and calculate the JSS strength based on number of Mk IVs (e.g. a ship with 1 Mk IV and 4 Mk III should have it's JSS strength calculated as 2 Mk IVs)?

BTW I believe my 4 to 1 hypothesis doesn't work when using Mk Is

If I have got the above correct then does 1 Mk IV and 12 Mk IIIs crack an F?

O.K. Folks, this weeks beginners question concerns the calculation of JSS strength:

I believe that 4 JSS of a prevision version will give a similar JSS strength of the next lvl (e.g. 4 x Mk III JSS = 1 Mk IV JSS) or rather that it will crack a same lvl warp point (i.e. 1 Mk IV will crack an E as will 4 Mk IIIs)

My question is regarding calculating the JSS strength of a ship with multiple types off JSS. Assuming the above is correct would you substitute 4 MK IIIs for 1 Mk IV and calculate the JSS strength based on number of Mk IVs (e.g. a ship with 1 Mk IV and 4 Mk III should have it's JSS strength calculated as 2 Mk IVs)?

BTW I believe my 4 to 1 hypothesis doesn't work when using Mk Is

If I have got the above correct then does 1 Mk IV and 12 Mk IIIs crack an F?

If I remember correctly Pete once stated. that the highest Mk JSS sets the base and all lesser JSS add a bit regardless of Mk.

He also stated, that it is a diminishing returns formula (he loves these). So in you calculation you would need some expmonent somewhere :woohoo:

With other items each Mk doubles the value. So by needing 4 of a lesser Mk you would assume a squared diminishing returns

result. 1 Mk IV at strength x needs (2 Mk III of strength x/2)^2. I would need to see if that fits with my results.

I experimented with a logarithmic approach where I needed 10 times the lower Mk to get the same result.

At least for Mk I it works as 10 Pathfinders could crack a C without a Scout on board. I am pretty sure, that 4 Pathfinders can not.

If I remember correctly Pete once stated. that the highest Mk JSS sets the base and all lesser JSS add a bit regardless of Mk.

He also stated, that it is a diminishing returns formula (he loves these). So in you calculation you would need some expmonent somewhere ;)

With other items each Mk doubles the value. So by needing 4 of a lesser Mk you would assume a squared diminishing returns

result. 1 Mk IV at strength x needs (2 Mk III of strength x/2)^2. I would need to see if that fits with my results.

I experimented with a logarithmic approach where I needed 10 times the lower Mk to get the same result.

At least for Mk I it works as 10 Pathfinders could crack a C without a Scout on board. I am pretty sure, that 4 Pathfinders can not.

Thanks Cestvel....I think it's back to the drawing board anyway as your 10 Pathfinders experience has confirmed something, made me check my results and discard my 4 to 1 theory, because:

10 Mk I cracks C

4 Mk II cracks D

3 Mk III cracks E

3 or possibly 4 Mk IV cracks an F (I need to confirm this as my value for an F is not set in stone :ranting: )

Your 10 Pathfinders provokes another question though....do all the ships need to be in the same fleet or just the same location?

Now if I just had more advanced Explorers or JSSes (Early Christmas present anybody?!? :joker: ) all this would be a moot point and I could get back to finding my local Starbars :woohoo:

He also stated, that it is a diminishing returns formula (he loves these). So in you calculation you would need some expmonent somewhere ;)

Thanks Cestvel....I think it's back to the drawing board anyway as your 10 Pathfinders experience has confirmed something, made me check my results and discard my 4 to 1 theory, because:

10 Mk I cracks C

4 Mk II cracks D

3 Mk III cracks E

3 or possibly 4 Mk IV cracks an F (I need to confirm this as my value for an F is not set in stone :ranting: )

Your 10 Pathfinders provokes another question though....do all the ships need to be in the same fleet or just the same location?

Now if I just had more advanced Explorers or JSSes (Early Christmas present anybody?!? :joker: ) all this would be a moot point and I could get back to finding my local Starbars :woohoo:

All in the fleet taht issues the SURV in my experience.

I lost track of my data since 10 Mk III with a good explorer cracked nearly everything and a Mk IV with a good explorer cracked everything for me.

Though I do not recollect how I beat that I-WP.

Cestvel has it right; here are some additional notes:

• The warp detection values of successive Jump Survey Sensorys do not double with each generation advance.
  • The best Jump Survey Sensor available sets the base detection value.
  • The sum of every Jump Survey Sensor's warp detection values (even including the base-setting one) adds to the overall detection formula with logarithmic diminishing returns.
  • The class of the warp point sets the base difficulty of surveying that warp point in a non-linear fashion.
  • The true distance between the connected stars increases the warp point's detection difficulty.
  • The presence of a legendary explorer or scientist (explorers are better) assigned to the fleet reduces the difficulty of the warp point itself rather than affecting the detection value.
  • Having multiple explorers and/or scientists assigned to the fleet helps, but only the best one of each category (explorer, scientist) helps (the lower ranked ones do not contribute).
  • The presence of certain installations anywhere in the star system add directly to the base detection value (Astronomical Observatories being the most cost effective of these).
  • Surveying warp points in your home system is automatic so long as the fleet has any sort of detection capability.
  • There are no random elements of any kind that affect a SURVey mission - once everything is taken into account, the fleet either has enough juice to beat the final modified warp point difficulty or it does not.
  • I do indeed love diminishing returns formulas that push back harder as more pressure is placed on them :woohoo: