Rolling Thunder Forums

Beginner's Questions

Viro

If you neglect Long Range Sensors, you will miss out on awesome tech.

tnaks for the responses.

In summary I am hearing that once you get Long range sensors to open up new technolgy that one can probably ignor Short and Medium range sensor improvements for the remainder of the game. Of couses some future technology may in fact need the Mark VII short range sensor as a prerequisite but it appears unlikely. I am far better off to continue to develop improvements to Long range sensors if I want to pursue improved sensor tecnologies.

Is my summary essentially correct?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. Prereqs for Long Ranger Sensors require Medium Sensors, which also require Short Range Sensors.

To be more precise, each level of Long Range Sensors requires a new level of Medium Range Sensors as its prerequisite.

Likewise, each level of Medium Range Sensors requires a new level of Short Range Sensors as its prerequisite.

In other words, before you can research Mk IV Long Range Sensors, you must first have developed Mk IV Medium Range Sensors, and in turn, Mk IV Short Range Sensors.

And to make matters worse, many of those juicy techs opened up by Long Range Sensors also require progressively higher levels of Long Range Sensor tech as prerequisites as they progress up their respective trees.

As incredibly useful as this line of research eventually is, it is very intensive in research resources for advancement.

Yes and no. Prereqs for Long Ranger Sensors require Medium Sensors, which also require Short Range Sensors.

To be more precise, each level of Long Range Sensors requires a new level of Medium Range Sensors as its prerequisite.

Likewise, each level of Medium Range Sensors requires a new level of Short Range Sensors as its prerequisite.

In other words, before you can research Mk IV Long Range Sensors, you must first have developed Mk IV Medium Range Sensors, and in turn, Mk IV Short Range Sensors.

And to make matters worse, many of those juicy techs opened up by Long Range Sensors also require progressively higher levels of Long Range Sensor tech as prerequisites as they progress up their respective trees.

As incredibly useful as this line of research eventually is, it is very intensive in research resources for advancement.

Yes, exactly on target.

This is not related to the current thread but this seems the place for it.

The ANZ for deep core surveyors says in part "...that search the core of a planet for additional resources. They operate autonomously and may discover new veins of any of a variety of valuable resources. "

I have interpreted this to mean that sometimes you will get a hit for a resource that is not already present on the planet. In my limited experience this has never happened to me or others I have asked. Has anyone ever gotten such a hit?

Thanks for the help.

This is not related to the current thread but this seems the place for it.

The ANZ for deep core surveyors says in part "...that search the core of a planet for additional resources. They operate autonomously and may discover new veins of any of a variety of valuable resources. "

I have interpreted this to mean that sometimes you will get a hit for a resource that is not already present on the planet. In my limited experience this has never happened to me or others I have asked. Has anyone ever gotten such a hit?

Thanks for the help.

Nope,

and I run a lot of them.

How accurate are the equations in Brad's shipdesign spreadsheet that calculate things like:

Structural Integrity

Shield Strength

Total Weapons Strength

Fire Control Rating

Damage per Glob

Sensor Rating

Total JSS Strength

Science Rating

Skim Volume

And how did he derive the values for the "Main Effect"

e.g. that a Mk I Short Range Sensor provides quantity*2.5 to the total sensory rating, while a Mk II provides quantity*5?

How accurate are the equations in Brad's shipdesign spreadsheet that calculate things like:

Structural Integrity

Shield Strength

Total Weapons Strength

Fire Control Rating

Damage per Glob

Sensor Rating

Total JSS Strength

Science Rating

Skim Volume

And how did he derive the values for the "Main Effect"

e.g. that a Mk I Short Range Sensor provides quantity*2.5 to the total sensory rating, while a Mk II provides quantity*5?

Structural Integrity CORRECT

Shield Strength GOOD ( looks at whether shield is good or excellent or ECT, instead of exact number and ANZ changed to give exact number now

Total Weapons Strength GOOD ( looks at whether weapon is good or excellent or ECT, instead of exact number and ANZ changed to give exact number now

Fire Control Rating CORRECT just equals ship tonnage divided by bridge strength)

Damage per Glob CORRECT( just equals damage divided by fire control)

Sensor Rating LOW

Total JSS Strength CORRECT ( actually I beleive the original sheet had the new corrected formula the PA gave him)

Science Rating LOW

Skim Volume CORRECT ( only for gas giants)

CORRECT MEANS CORRECT

GOOD means, semi correct

LOW means not very correct

Originally the description of items used terms such as good, fair, adequate, etc. We now have actual numbers instead of these broad ranges and for the most part all calculations are known including almost all of the defensive systems. If you need a particular formula I believe I have them all in my spreadsheet. or at least all the ones that I ever thought were important enough to figure out.

:drunk:

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I appear to be seeing two sets of prouction for each of my BI orers?

These are my orders:

xxx 401 800 Shenn Stones Tooled

XXx 402 800 Gemstones Tooled

XXX 403 50,000 Grains Tooled

xxx 404 50,000 Meat Tooled

xxx 405 50,000 Fruits & Vegetables Tooled

xxx 406 750,000 Crystals Tooled

xxx 407 50,000 Foodstuffs Tooled

results in this processing:

800 Shenn Stones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,464,896 ]

- 800 Shenn Stones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,456,896 ]

- 800 Gemstones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,448,896 ]

- 800 Gemstones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Grains(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 100,940,896 ]

- 50,000 Grains(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 100,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Meat(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 99,940,896 ]

- 50,000 Meat(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 99,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Fruits & Vegetables(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 98,940,896 ]

- 50,000 Fruits & Vegetables(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx

- 750,000 Crystals(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 90,940,896 ]

- 750,000 Crystals(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 83,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Foodstuffs(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 83,240,896 ]

- 50,000 Foodstuffs(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 83,040,896 ]

I also question ORB results.

resutls are:'

Special exploration discoveries spotted at this world include: <none found here>

'Does this mean that it is probably fruitless to do any EXPL missions on this site I did the ORB or does is simply mean my spacecraft doing the ORB was not paticularly well equipped with sufficent science labs, sensors, etc....

Also and finally....it is 40 order per set and NOT 30?????

Why do I appear to be seeing two sets of prouction for each of my BI orers?

These are my orders:

xxx 401 800 Shenn Stones Tooled

XXx 402 800 Gemstones Tooled

XXX 403 50,000 Grains Tooled

xxx 404 50,000 Meat Tooled

xxx 405 50,000 Fruits & Vegetables Tooled

xxx 406 750,000 Crystals Tooled

xxx 407 50,000 Foodstuffs Tooled

results in this processing:

800 Shenn Stones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,464,896 ]

- 800 Shenn Stones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,456,896 ]

- 800 Gemstones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,448,896 ]

- 800 Gemstones(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 101,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Grains(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 100,940,896 ]

- 50,000 Grains(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 100,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Meat(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 99,940,896 ]

- 50,000 Meat(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 99,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Fruits & Vegetables(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 98,940,896 ]

- 50,000 Fruits & Vegetables(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx

- 750,000 Crystals(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 90,940,896 ]

- 750,000 Crystals(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 83,440,896 ]

- 50,000 Foodstuffs(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 83,240,896 ]

- 50,000 Foodstuffs(s) were produced in Population Group # xxx [ 83,040,896 ]

I also question ORP results.

resutls are:'

Special exploration discoveries spotted at this world include: <none found here>

'Does this mean that it is probably fruitless to do any EXPL missions on this site I did the ORB or does is simply mean my spacecraft doing the ORB was not paticularly well equipped with sufficent science labs, sensors, etc....

Also and finally....it is 40 order per set and NOT 30?????

You probably have given build orders each turn, while you would not have had to. Check the section titled "Industrial Production", I bet there are two orders per priority. Try to get rid of them with either and EB CLEAR ALL or an EB with the same item, same prio but 0 amount.

For the ORB: An ORB reveals what anyone has *already* found at a planet, so < none found here > indicates virgin territory.