Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 87

Guest Spongebob

Poland has got Berlin and a few mediocre provinces in Germany, lost part of his homeland and has almost no army left and he still wins? I'd have rated Italy as similar or better than him but Italy is almost entirely at the bottom of the list. And why did I score better than Falco??? I'm really curious as to how the score is build up and what makes people score well or not.

And indeed, a big 'told you so'. So far I feel justified in my opinion that the scoring system is too wacky to take serious.

Nevertheless, big grats to Poland and Norway. And Iraq for scoring second (individual) in your first game.

Poland most likely did not choose largest army as part of his victory conditions. As for the rest, I do not know what was selected as everyone's optional victory conditions. You guys scored well with you kill numbers based on what I saw all of you posting, but you scored up and down the lists in your other two mandatory conditions. Based on the 5 of your mandatory conditions, I would have guessed that Lukas would have had the best score in your TA block, but he was next to last (Turkey being the worst) in your block. The optional victory conditions do matter and what you choose, based on your tech package and your nation, does make a difference in the scoring. Most positions, if not all, are defaulted with largest army, navy and air force. I would guess that none of you had very large navies. This would have hurt your scores. I don't know what the default conditions are for your positions, but I am sure this is where the game was won/lost.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand how the scoring works. But for the most part it's not something you can work towards during the game other than just by playing well. And then at the end of the game a bunch of numbers are jumbled, TA's are accounted for to make it even more random and then someone has won. It's not that I know a better way or that I think it is unfair, it's just really disjointed from the game.

My 28 Duke of York's, 25 Queen Mary's and 879 other ships disagree with your guess that none of us had big navies. :pirate2::cannon:

Turkey had a fairly big navy as well, the others less so, but most of the players in the game had or made little use of ships either.

The scores are based on the combination of the Mandatory Victory Conditions (5) and the Optional Victory Conditions (7 selected by the player out of 12 choices, if the player does not select 7, the defaulted 7 for the nation are used). I believe that the top spot for each condition receives 80 points, second 78, third 76, etc......, then the bonus victory points are added in (capitols, canals, Istanbul, Gibraltar & Malta. I do not know how ties are handled......but, with 12 scoring conditions and 20 players finishing the game, the scores I saw are impressive all around. No player scored over 600 ~ that implies that the game was hotly contested all the way to the end.

The main reason no one scored over 600 is that there were 20 players active at the end of the game --- I bet that is a record.

Well done Scott....definitely a surprise to me. I thought the Middle Eastern Alliance had it wrapped up. However, a TA with a low score can definitely drag down an alliance that otherwise scores very well. Given how little territory Poland had, it is surprising that he managed to win. In my experience, having a lot of territory is important in racking up points in the optional categories. It is hard to do well in the treasury, growth metrics, IMDL, ADL, or even size of military forces if you haven't captured a lot of additional production.

Jared

It may be that I finished last among the survivors, but I DID finish. There's about 20 from #87 who can't say that.

You did not finish last among the survivors. Far from that.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting Lukas... so the remaining countries only get scored against each other, not against all 39 other countries? That's actually pretty important to know.

Actually, if that table is correct and indeed only the active nations are taken into account... would that mean that a 'worthless' TA could be dropped (as in: no longer played) at turn 72 to greatly increase the score of the TA's of that nation?

Interesting Lukas... so the remaining countries only get scored against each other, not against all 39 other countries? That's actually pretty important to know.

No. Nations are scored against all 40 nations. But I don't know how the dropped positions have scored, so I just ranked the finishing players. I also don't know who picked which secondary objective. The influence of these picks seems to be two places at most in the final ranking (Poland picked well).

See this post by Russ for your other question: http://www.rollingth...?showtopic=1255

Aah, ok... i thought Russ might have passed on the scoring table.

Is the info on your sheet then simply what the players informed/showed you their scores/values were, so the info from their turn sheets?