Rolling Thunder Forums

Draco ground division cap

The Fremen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with a variety of other fields, that's right.  All were used for a number of interesting things behind the scenes, but that sort of detail loses value as the # of Divisions goes up, so if you're using massive armies you won't notice that anything has changed (which in a way would be ideal).

I think the majority of players, if not all, didn't realize that each division had it's own record with stats for that division. For small scale combat, that could actually be quite cool. However, Supernova isn't small scale. I think we all thought that each division was generic and just had a number assigned showing how many we had in that army. Pruning all those cool fields and converting them to generic units might be the solution you were hoping for. 

Still doesn't cover the limitation of 1000 ground divisions imposed by Imperial Reforms. Since ICE-1 through -4 are outlawed and Deep Cores are more expensive to build due to the production price increase to make them, ridiculously high yields will be hard to come by. This forces players to create colonies....a lot of them in some cases. And when you spread out your 1000 divisions across your homeworld and colonies, it's simply not enough to defend yourself. While I haven't crossed the 1000 division threshold yet, I'm sure I will in the future (as will most players). 

I would think that each division has info related to life form traits, strategy issues and techs researched.  I would hope that could just be captured in a table one place then the divisions are just a number.  In any event, the ground combat results are some of the most meager and unless I am really missing something, they convey very little info other than what tech you have, Def rating and win/lose.

On 7/23/2019 at 2:46 PM, Hobo said:

Why the fremen for you and hobknob to run this game For everybody bow down to you  two no thank you. In for your info i been playing 6 yrs so i know how to play this game

Frankly, I am getting a bit tired of Newbies complaining when I point out this issue or that.  When you come up with an original argument why something should be this way or that I will listen, but griping about folks that have given it some thought is not appreciated.  I know this won't stop you from doing it just the same, but it doesn't get you anywhere in my book.

Now if you don't like my views or opinions feel free to explain why I am wrong.

Nobody runs this game who does not work for RTG.  Just because some of us have been around for a very long time does not mean we run it.  We simply have a greater amount of knowledge and information to call upon than folks new to the game, or that may have only played one or two positions.  Some of us have vast experience you may not have and we tend to share where game mechanics are involved.

My favorite shirt reads " You can either agree with me or be wrong"  My next favorite says"I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong".  So, what is it going to be, will you agree with me or shall I agree with you?

hobknob has always , in the many years since SuperNova has been running , been fair to everybody that asks him questions . When some of the noobs say he is trying to run the game , that is simply not true . Pete runs the game , absolutely nobody else . hobknob gives his insight into the game . If a noob does not like it , then so be it , but complaining about hobknob is unfair . And a word of caution...hobknob plays in Draco .  It was his play in Andromeda that finally killed empire 2964 . 

Yep, no hate for Hobknob here. He been free with advice to me. People are getting overly passionate and getting worked up. Relax.

5 hours ago, lugal said:

Yep, no hate for Hobknob here. He been free with advice to me. People are getting overly passionate and getting worked up. Relax.

Yup no hate for anyone here but that’s only because we don’t get mad we get even. 😈.  

First of all, I am very appreciative of the automatic upgrades to our ground divisions whenever a new tech was finished. Can you imagine if we had to upgrade our divisions to take advantage of the new tech? Like building steel and weapons to upgrade your armor divisions because you researched the Heavy Tank tech? Or building electronics because you got the J2 Jammer and wanted to upgrade your EW divisions? In that kind of scenario, I could see the need to record each division as a seperate entity because of this. It would be a nightmare in paperwork, orders, and production in that model so I'm thankful we don't have to go through that.

you could also just make them significantly more expensive (say by a factor of 10, reduce current divisions by a factor of 10 (or really any factor you like), and then have no cap, just a limit that will grow much more slowly....

:)

• 7 months later...

Again I come late to the party -- damn Real Life!!! 

Anyway, I was kicking around the idea of experience (Navy and Army) based on the size of the whole force and the amount of time the force was in existence.  This is just the seed of an idea, and would need a lot more thought; I realize there are lots of holes in it so far.  The basic idea is a force (Navy or Army) starts as green, and grows more experienced over time (ie, the Military doesn't just sit around and eat MREs) based on military spending, combat experience, the length of time it has been in existence.

First some arbitrary levels need to be set.  The titles are just for example and try to explain the idea behind them.

Patriotism - a measure of a races patriotism (ie how many young Gizmods decide to join the armed forces)

Military Budget - a measure of how much money is spent on the military.

Military Retention - a measure of how good it is to be in Military Service, as compared to any job in the civilian sector (ie how many Gizmods stay in the military over time), and is based on both Budget and Patriotism.

Starting values for the above would be based on Government Type, Government Type Modifier and Imperial Tradition.

Which is probably easier to explain with an example:

So an empire starts the game builds 5 Ground Units, it is assumed each contains the same number of soldiers.  The player has them train for 5 turns, they get a little better (some limit should be set as to how much training affects Troop Level).  Adding numbers, lets say each turn each unit adds 1 to Troop Level; so after 5 turns the Empire's Troop Level is 25 (5 units over 5 turns), which works out to 5 for any individual unit (25/5).  On turn 6 the player builds 5 more units, as Recruits the units add 0 to the total, the Empire Force Level is now 30 (5 units over 6 turns), but the Individual Unit level is now 3 (30/10).  And then two turns later the Empire Force Level will be 50, with Individual Unit Level at 5 again.  The amount each unit would contribute to the total force level per turn would be based on Military Budget.  Combat would add some value (even across all races, or maybe based on Intelligence), for each unit that survived, and should accelerate Recruit and Green Units to Regular Level (ie any Recruit or Green Units that survived combat).

When a unit was disbanded or decommissioned some portion of its soldiers would be retained, some would retire or separate from the military.  So the Total Force Level would be reduced by the Individual Level (the average) less some amount based on Military Retention.  So continuing from above, its turn 8, Force Level is 50, the Player decides his first 5 units are now obsolete, and scraps them.  Thus on Turn 9, Total Force Level is 50 + 5 (for the 5 units that still exist, -25 (5 for each unit scrapped, as that was the individual troop level on Turn 8 ..) + some value for Military Retention, lets say 20% (of 25) or 5.  So now on Turn 9 Total Force Level is 35, Individual Unit Level is 7 (35/5).  (and this shows one of the holes of the system, how could a unit go from 0 to 7 over three turns -- the remaining units where built on turn 6 -- with more units this becomes less obvious)  

The goal is to model a total Force Level, over time, based on moneys spent, combat, etc.  There should be limits to what level a Force can grow without combat, which would mitigate the disbanding issue to some extent.  A Force Level of Regular should be the nominal level, a unit progress towards that level each time.  Thus a Force Level above Regular would slowly reduce back to Regular, and below would rise to it.

Orders could be created to allow special training of units, increasing Force Level.  Maybe track the total numbers of each Individual Troop Level, ie total numbers of Greens, Veterans, etc.  And/or have Movement Orders that allow for choosing best available Troop Levels getting sent to a specific world.  Depending on how much detail was desired, Troop Level could be tracked at the Empire, Sector, System, or even Planet Level. 

OK its late here, and I'm getting tired and fuzzy.  I will try to answer questions or make a better clarification if anyone so chooses.  Thank you for your time.