Rolling Thunder Forums

Newbie Questions

Balagor

Excellent advice. After 4 turns, I wish I had thought to ask a couple of your questions earlier.

So what about Installation on the HW? Do I need to build a pile of admin centers and cities? And is religion important? Most of the other installations are self explanatory, but has anyone discovered any generalizations about number of installations that serve 100 pop needed to provide a reasonable chance of installation effect? (<-- probably a very hard to figure out relationship.)

Octus

:beer:

Imperial Administration centers increase your administrator's chances of getting a production bonus. The benefit is supposed to increase up to where you have 1 per 100 population. The max benefit should come from about 5000 on your HW. My impression from observation is that the benefit is negligible at 100 of such facilities on your homeworld. You might notice a difference at 1000 or more. However, the construction materials and pop are better used on colony mines, unless you have a bunch laying around waiting to be put to better use later.

Religious facilities so far have the same effect: they increase the religious leader's chances of getting a production bonus. Again, the effect is negligible below about 1000 of them, and even then, it isn't earth shattering.

Provincial Admin centers I believe only work on colony worlds, but I could be wrong.

Cities, Domed Cities, and Colonial Training Centers are essential on colony worlds that don't have "ideal" conditions. You absolutely need 1 per 100.

- woolfe

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installations like Imperial Guard Boot Camp, Imperial Army Base etc.: is building one on the planet enough? :huh:

If yes, is than not logical conclusion to build them all (1 of all types) at once? It only costs 1 pop and 500 building materials. :blink:

Building one of each type of military installation on your Homeworld is sufficient as far as building the installations go. However, as each type of installation is geared towards certain types of units, building all of them at once is wasteful of resources.

For example - There is no reason to build SEAL Team or Green Beret Training facilities if you have no Special Forces units built. Anything times zero is still zero, yes?

On the other hand, if you are performing LFE Orders with your in system Fleets, having a Naval Gunnery Range built is a good thing.

Overall, early on, it is better to be building resource extraction facilities (Stripmines, Iron Mines, Crystal Refineries, etc.), Industrial Complexes and depending on your Atmosphere/Ocean and Gas Giant situation - Fuel production facilities than building military installations.

IMO :beer:

IIRC you can build unlimeted stripmines. So build everything you need now and use the rest to build stripmines. So after 10 truns you make a plus. I am correct? :beer:

Stripmines pay for themselves in 225 turns. However, there's nothing wrong in building them with extra CM's you have laying around until you can put the CM's to more efficient use (e.g. as colony mines). No sense having CM's and pop laying around.

Thank you

But my question was do I have to assign RC´s to a tech called domed city and then wait for x-turns until the are finished ??

Or are they available once you have researched both techs

that is you dont have to assign RC´s to a tech called Domed City

tokmok

Thanks

Now for a more general question.

As a colonizer how much RC´s should I spend on things like

Planetary Eng, Terraforming, medical Science

Are there things that are helpfull it seems that my biggest problem is Temp and Gravity (on Low G worlds) if you count out Atms but Domed city takes care of that.

Or should I as a colonizer spend my RC´s on Space Combat, Engines, Industrial tech, and sensors, computer systems and of course materials

I seems impossible to Research it all

tokmok

Thanks

Now for a more general question.

As a colonizer how much RC´s should I spend on things like

Planetary Eng, Terraforming, medical Science

Are there things that are helpfull it seems that my biggest problem is Temp and Gravity (on Low G worlds) if you count out Atms but Domed city takes care of that.

Or should I as a colonizer spend my RC´s on Space Combat, Engines, Industrial tech, and sensors, computer systems and of course materials

I seems impossible to Research it all

tokmok

It *is* impossible to research it all. Your priorities should depend on how good your colonization bonus is. If you are a super colonizer (e.g. +10 CB or better), I would not prioritize these kinds of installations. If you are a good but not super colonizer (e.g. +6 to +9), I would go for the easier ones: domed cities, deep core heatsinks, thermal regulations, maybe imperial medical centers. If you are a so-so or worse colonizer (e.g. +5 or less), I would go all out unless you just don't have that much interest in colonizing.

- woolfe

Here's my short take on it.

If you have lots of in system colony potential then go for faster engines so your ships make many trips. This is a good pay off and you can buy your way to Mk II Fusions. Horizon techs will eventually give you lots of nifty stuff, however some of it is raher useless at this point. Baring a world with really high hydro or geo potential, any of the temperture moderating installations are simply useless as they require 25,000 per turn per 100 pop to opperate at max efficiency. You homeworld likely uses around 120,000 power total. Any advance that you can build once and use is good, ie domed city subtr. city etc..

If you would like more specific examples and options drop me a line and I will get into specifics with you.

In the end every position is different from everbody else's and you have to take it all as a package.

Good luck. :woohoo: