Rolling Thunder Forums

Newbie Questions

Balagor

Having just completed a fairly major scrap and rebuild project from early mistakes let me tell you that you are far ahead to atleast put a single jump drive on any ship that is not intended as an orbital fort. It is a lot easier to build a few floating fuel tankers to move along with a fleet rather than have to bust down a really big ship just to get some jump capability. Of course it hardly matters if you are really pushing for faster engines as you will want to scrap most stuff to rebuild at much higher AP's. 10 AP freighters are very nice, especially if you have many in system colonies. :alien2:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just completed a fairly major scrap and rebuild project from early mistakes let me tell you that you are far ahead to atleast put a single jump drive on any ship that is not intended as an orbital fort. It is a lot easier to build a few floating fuel tankers to move along with a fleet rather than have to bust down a really big ship just to get some jump capability. Of course it hardly matters if you are really pushing for faster engines as you will want to scrap most stuff to rebuild at much higher AP's. 10 AP freighters are very nice, especially if you have many in system colonies. :D

That's one of my angles... but only one.

I like versatility in all my ships. All can jump. All can shoot and defend themselves against a ship of their own class and can be used for a multiplicity of missions. Sure it makes them more expensive but helps in the end.

/Locklyn

• 3 months later...

All of them may hae colony beacons placed upon them. How much they match your homeworld is the criteria used to determine how close to IDEAL they are. Once you drop a colony beacon on the worlds, a pop group is formed there with a unique pop group number. Then build a ship with colonial berthings, load them with colonists (created using the CTRN order) move them to the new world/moon/asteroid field and drop them off. The Gas Giants are most likely to be the most different from your homeworld and would most likely have the highest attrition. This means that once dropped off, the population will die. The lower the attrition (i.e. the closer match to your homeworld) the fewer will die each turn.

Technology will reduce attrition as will certain lifeform modifiers. Other lifeform modifiers actually make attrition higher, meaning that even if the world is IDEAL, some of your pop will die.

Crossroads:

Welcome to the game!

By just looking at your system overview you can quickly gather which worlds are most likely to be habitable by your species. Atmosphere and Temperature are the major attritional factors so check for worlds that seem to have the same atmosphere and physical charasterictica as your home world. Then send a fleet to do a CSV to determine actual attrition, a PMAP just so it isn't already inhabited by a neutral and a GEO to see if its worth it.

It rather depends on your racial design. If you have designed a coloniser race that can survive on many different kinds of worlds then you could settle almosts anywhere, bút the initial cost of producing colonial berthings is quite massive so find a prime spot for your colony, ie preferably one with high ratings in materials lacking on your homeworld. And remember, you can never have too much Iron.

Also remember that very small colonies ie around ten or less pop, take very little if any attrition which can be a good thing for building science colonies in other systems to help with surveying.

If you have any questions on other areas or if I were vague, please email and I will do what I can to assist you.

locklyn@kommunicera.umea.se

Cheers

/Locklyn

I just had my first turn back. My home system overview mentions a (numbered 1) homeplanet, a sun numbered 2 and several moons 2a, 2b etc. Can those moons be colonized too?

Crossroads,

Expanding on what Laserwolf and Locklyn said a bit. When your Fleet performs a CSV order you will get a report back that tells you what the attrition rate is for the planet/moon/asteroid field with regard to your Species ranging from IDEAL (Best) to PROHIBITIVE (Worst), with intermediate ratings like NEARLY IDEAL, LOW, MODERATE, HIGH, VERY NEARLY PROHIBITIVE.

It will also include a series of status bars for anything other than Ideal, telling you what factors are causing the higher attrition ratings. The major Factors are Atmosphere, Temperature, Ocean composition, Axial Tilt, Gravity, Terrain, Lifeform, Microbes, Radiation and Pollution.

If it is a dashed line ----------|, it is an unfavorable condition, where the longer the line the greater percentage of the Attrition is being caused by this Factor.

If it is a dotted line ..........|, it is a favorable condition, where the longer the line the greater percentage of the Attrition is being offset by this Factor. To date, only Terrain and Lifeform have been observed as being potentially favorable conditions. The closer the Terrain is to your homeworld, the more likely you will garner a favorable Terrain result. The Lifeform bonus is related to applicable Racial characteristics (i.e. If the potential colony world has a Gravity higher than your Homeworld and your Race has High the Gravity Tolerance trait, you are likely to see a favorable Lifeform line.).

If you want any additional assistance, just post your questions to this Board and you'll get some answers pretty quickly. :)Or you can use the e-mail button and send the question to me directly. Or you can join one of the myriad of alliances that have formed and are forming. (Yes, it was another shameless ISIS recruitment plug. :lol: ) There are also a lot of really useful tools and documents available for download on the Rolling Thunder Games website put together by some of your fellow SN:ROTE players.

Good Luck and Good Gaming! :)

Thanks for the help so far! :)

I have a few more questions:

1) the installations report. Is that an overview of things i can already build?

2a) Research report: Is it wise the stop research of an item at all or will the percentage already done be gone.

2b) several items are already selected for my reaserch. Is it wise to leave it this way? What items have priority in the beginning?

3) How can i see if my lifeform is entered correctly? I see no stats of them.

4) what are the priorities in the first few turns?

5) Should i stop making Pathfinders at once? I have 12 of them already.

Thats it for now. :)

No worries mate,

1) Yes. For more details on Installations and such. Download the GSL Items and Installations guide in the Player Aid Download area.

2a) You start the game with ONE turns research in those items listed at your research report with your setup turn. If you change the allocation of Research Centres from tech currently researched the points gained in that tech do not disappear, they remain so you can continue to research from that point later.

2b) You can leave them or decide for yourself what you wish to pursue in research. This depends wholly on the design of your empire and the flavour you wish to pursue. If you are a coloniser race and wish to expand quickly within your homesystem, perhaps techs to help in this. If you are warrior race etc etc...there are quite a few good threads on this board reccommending how to allocate initial tech. This also depends if you have saved SRPs or not. I would go for better Survey Sensors among other things. All this depends on how you wish to play.

3) You can't, you trust Pete has entered it correctly.

4) Survey your home system. It might be that you have worlds with good potential to keep you occupied. Jump into neighbouring systems, Survey WPs back and check your closest systems. Construct a good build queue that suits your Empire goals. Start building EXPL ships on turn two or three.

5) You have a bunch of PFs as well as a few in queue in the shipyard. You are good with these for at least the first three or four turns untill you have better jump survey sensors and engines.

Again...these are general suggestions. I have examples of build queues and tech allocation and such I could send you/post but it'll have to wait cause I'm at work and don't have those files available...Oh yeah...get some of the spreadsheets floating around...and USE them...if you use them from the beginning your life will be so much simpler 30 turns down :)

Good luck

/Locklyn

1) Yes.

2a) You can stop and start research as many times as you wish. What you've got, you'll keep.

2b) There's a diminishing return on extra reasearch centers, so when you start you have 3 or 4 on each of those things (and setup counts as a turn for purposes of researching those items). They're all good things to research, but conventional wisdom says you should drop them down to 1 or 2 centers and use the extras to research more stuff.

3) No way I know of, except maybe ask Pete and Russ to send you a copy of what they entered.

4) COLONIZE! That, and get your infrastructure set up. Build all the mines necessary for your geo potentials. yield *5 gives the maximum output, but you have to compare that to what you could get by building stripmines and ICs, so most people use 5y-100, 5y-110, or 5y-105. Depends on how you do the math.

5) Probably. Pathfinders are a decent generic ship, but they have no cargo space, so they're useless for EXPL orders. I like to design a dedicated warp-survey ship, send those out to get as far as they can from your homeworld. Follow them with dedicated GEO/PMAP/CSV ships (which don't require nearly as many parts as the Pathfinder has) and then build EXPL ships for your colonies. Then, of course, you'll need cargo and/or colonizer ships, but that's another story.

More questions: :)

1) Are there installations i should build early? Those imperial centers, should i build them on the home planet?

2) What items should i stockpile (steel of course)?

3) what is the maximum value for priority?

4) i have one pop group. Is that normal? I read somewhere that it should be 5.

Thanks again! :)

Again...the path you wish to take with your Empire decides where you should concentrate your building effort...but...

A) Build one of each of the science installations that you do not have

:) Shrines, Missions, Resorts etc are for stability and religious purposes and while the 1 installation covers 100 pop does rule does make it hard to have an impact on your homeworld I would reccomend setting up a CON convoy to build at least a few of each every turn. We're still not sure what every installation does but it can never hurt. Build one of each military installation but you can do that over time.

2= There are different schools on this subject. Some advocate the hoarding of Raw Resources and prime materials like steel and electronics for basic building untill your tech gives you acess to higher as well mass building instead of fixed production line ie...instead of building 10 cannons every turn for when you need it you build 100 cannons when you need it. I prefer building a little of everything

an example of production queue could look like this:

10-90 Priority Items One Build NON tooled

PRIO

Level One Resources Plus ESP Resources (26) Tooled

100 0 Caldaran Crystals

110 0 Coal

120 0 Crystals

130 0 Fibers

140 0 Fruits&Vegetables

150 0 Gaseous Elements

160 0 Gemstones

170 0 Ghuran Demonblood

180 0 Grains

190 0 Industrial Chemicals

200 0 Iron

210 0 Light Metals

220 0 Lumber

230 0 Meat

240 0 Mineral Fertilisers

250 0 Petrochemicals

260 0 Precious Metals

270 0 Radioactive Elements

280 0 Rare Elements

290 0 Rare Herbs & Spices

300 0 Shenn Stones

310 0 Water

320 0 Garoxx Jewels

330 0 Jinn Crystals

340 0 Trintalum

350 0 Non Tooled Build Space

Level Two Resources Plus Space for Improved Resources (30) (When Advanced comes then eliminate lowest level etc)

360 0 Food Stuffs

370 0 Fuel

380 0 Luxury Goods

390 0 Petroleum

400 0 Pharmaceuticals

410 0 Plantfoods

420 0 Processed Radioactives

430 0 Refined Crystals

440 0 Steel

450 0 Synthetic Materials

460 0 Textiles

470 0 Timber

480 0 Transaluminum

490 0 Weapons

500 Improved FoodStuffs

510 Improved Fuel

520 Improved Luxury Goods

530 Improved Petroleum

540 Improved Pharmaceuticals

550 Improved Plantfoods

560 Improved Processed Radioactives

570 Improved Refined Crystals

580 Improved Steel

590 Improved Synthetic Materials

600 Improved Textiles

610 Improved Timber

620 Improved Transaluminum

630 Improved Weapons

640 0 Non Tooled Build Space

650 0 Non Tooled Build Space

Level Three Resources plus space for Improved Resources plus 4 extra spaces (14) (When Advanced comes eliminate lowest level etc)

660 0 Electronics

670 0 Construction Materials

680 0 Food Concentrates

690 0 Black Market Goods

700 0 Consumer Goods

710 Improved Electronics

720 Improved Construction Materials

730 Improved Food Concentrates

740 Improved Black Market Goods

750 Improved Consumer Goods

760 0 Non Tooled Build Space

770 0 Non Tooled Build Space

780 0 Non Tooled Build Space

790 0 Non Tooled Build Space

Misc Builds (5)

800 0 Heavy Machinery

810 0 Non Tooled Build Space

820 0 Non Tooled Build Space

830 0 Non Tooled Build Space

840 0 Non Tooled Build Space

850 0 Non Tooled Build Space

Ship Component Builds

ENGINES & JUMP DRIVES (5)

860 0 Mk I Nuclear Engine

870 0 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive

SENSORS & BRIDGE (10)

910 0 Mk I Short Range Sensor

920 0 Mk I Jump Survey Sensor

WEAPONS (10)

1010 0 Light Drone

1020 0 Interceptor

1030 0 Light Beam Laser

1040 0 Light Stun Beam

1050 0 Light Thermal Lance

1060 0 10cm Autocannon

1070 0 Mk I Standard Missile

1080 0 Mk I Short Range Torpedo

DEFENSIVE SYSTEMS (10)

1110 0 Standard Hull Plate

1120 0 Reflective Armor Coating

1130 0 Type A Defense Screen

MISC SHIP COMPONENTS (20)

1210 0 Colony Beacon

1220 0 Fuel Tankage

1230 0 Drone Rack

1240 0 Fighter Bay

1250 0 Fuel Shuttle

1260 0 Light Magnetic Grapple

1270 0 Survey Lander

1280 0 Cargo Bay

1290 0 Type A Science Lab

Troop Related Builds (6)

1410 10 Troopers

1420 3 Imperial Army Soldiers

1430 3 Imperial Guards Soldiers

1440 3 Imperial Marines Soldiers

1450 8 Space Defense

1460 0 Non tooled Build Space

1470 0 Non tooled Build Space

3) No max, keep a good spacing between though, bigger than in my example.

4) Its easier in my book, some prefer more and smaller popgroups as they are easier to affect with installations but I prefer everything being produced within the same group.

Hope this helps somewhat

Cheers

/Locklyn

Excellent advice. After 4 turns, I wish I had thought to ask a couple of your questions earlier.

So what about Installation on the HW? Do I need to build a pile of admin centers and cities? And is religion important? Most of the other installations are self explanatory, but has anyone discovered any generalizations about number of installations that serve 100 pop needed to provide a reasonable chance of installation effect? (<-- probably a very hard to figure out relationship.)

Octus

:)