Rolling Thunder Forums

Newbie Questions

Balagor

With reference to the ship designs - I think a computer on board is not essential (I think ships are somehow able to navigate the vastness of space without one!)- if you have other systems operating on board (eg short range sensors or any type of weaponry or defensive systems) then you should have one.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel consumption for warps works out something like this...

1 ton of fuel per 1,000 tons x warp point multiplier

Eg for the Pathfinder (12,000 tons)...

Class A Warp Point (x1) 12x1=12 tons

Class B Warp Point (x2) 12x2=24 tons

Class C Warp Point (x4) 12x4=48 tons

Class D Warp Point (x9) 12x9=108 tons

Class E Warp Point (x16) 12x16=192 tons

Class F Warp Point (x25) 12x25=300 tons

Class G Warp Point (x36) 12x36=432 tons

Forgive the scattershot of answers here, trying to answer multiple questions on the same post.

[1] In SN:ROTE, a Computer is used for Combat not Navigation purposes. Therefore, it is not a required component for your non-military/unarmed starships. It's not required for military/armed starships either, but it is highly recommended. :)

[2] Eldred has the Fuel Consumption equation correct:

Fleet Fuel Usage = Fleet Tonnage / 1000 * Warp Point Multiplier (rounded up) :lol:

[3] President Guztov is correct. For GEO, ORB and PMAP Orders, the format is [Order], <Fleet ID>, <Orbit> where <Orbit> is zero [0] for the main planetary body and [a-z] for the orbiting moons. Your Fleet can be orbitting the main planetary body or one of the moons and conduct GEO, ORB and PMAP Orders on every other planetary body in the group (main planet and moons). The CSV Order requires that you be in orbit of the target planetary body. The format is CSV, <Fleet ID>, <Pop Group> where Pop Group is zero [0] for the planet instead of a specific Pop Group. Clear as mud, yes? :taz:

This is more looking ahead that for right now, but when I get the Improved Materials, can they be used in place of normal materials ?

In other works, once I get Improved Steel, can I make Cargo Holds out of it, or will I keep need to make ordinary Steel ?

Also, has anyone seen better than Improved Materials ? (one would thing that some day Advanced Steel might show up).

Balagor

B -

Complete ship for transporting people + Cargo

1 Engine (Mk I Nuclear for now)

1 Jump Drive (Mk I of course)

xxxx Fuel Tankage (enough for one jump, or I could design a custom tanker to accompany cargo fleets)

---- I would make enough to go there and back (can't strand it out there can we :-)

xxxx Cargo Holds/Colonist Berthings.

Design smaller ships to do the Colony Beacon stuff. Build Colony Berthing ships to colonize. use the CONVOY ROUTE orders to help you.

Unless you don't actually *need it to leave the system its in... in which case its simply the cargo / berthing capacity and the thrust engine.

Nyarlathotep

In yet another topic, is there a way to figure out fuel consumption on Jumps ? I know that the type of Warp Points add a multiplier, but is there a known basic usage (such as X fuel per Jump Drive) ?

Nope... the whole of the formula, IIRC...

(Ship tonnage / 1000) * Warp Point Cost

Warp point cost is dependent upon the class of the warp point

A = 1

B = 2

C = 4

D = 9

E = 16

Again, that is if I recall this correctly off the top of my head.

Hehe.

My philosophy is to put some Jumps on Colony Ships everytime. The flexibility comes in handy.

Depends on your neighborhood and your resources...

right now, I have more places than I vessels and have voids in most of the immediately surrounding systems.

Right now, most of my steel goes to building colonist berthings, which move my folks to places which have resources which fill gaps in my homeworld's resources.

When my needs change, I will break down the passenger hulks and make starships out of them.

If you are really well off in the home system, you can get buy with no jump engines or fuel tanks, leaving more room for colonists and cargo. But eventually you may want to use those colonial berthings for out system colonial expansion. You could scrap the ship to get the berthings back, and then build a more expansion oriented ship. But you tie up lots of valuable ship building capacity doing so (to scrap and then rebuild) so you can reuse the resources.

Instead, I've chosen to build my ships with enough fuel tanks and jump engines so they can do at least one round trip jump. That way I can build cargo ships for the in system colonies to ferry good to / from the HW and move the Colonizers to the going to one system out, back and forth. I can keep using them for added one system moves until I come up with the magical combination Pete has hinted exists for speedier movement. THEN I can rebuild to reuse resources. So in esseence I feel well set (with the AP gone after warping), and will position myself to rebuild once the secret to speed is known.

Just to add a note to the discussion...

Remember that fuel is stored and used at the fleet level. A colony ship has to have at least one jump drive to make warp point transits but doesn't necessarily have to have sufficient intrinsic fuel capacity for said transits. You could mate em up with tankers at some later time which would give them, as part of a fleet, sufficient fuel capacity to make one or more transits.

Russ

:alien2: