Rolling Thunder Forums

Newbie Questions

Balagor

I'd tell you what leads to it, but, I haven't got a clue which item I completed on turn "X" gave me the ability to build this. I really dislike how INST does not list the techs required to get the installation so you can share the information with partners.

I believe Pete mentioned that Pre-Reqs for Installations would be forthcoming on future INST Orders. When? That's a horse of a different color ... :lol:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets just say that I am researching Battle Dress with research center 1. I decide that now what I really want in Research Center 1 is Improved Refined Crystals.

If I move Battle Dress to slot 2 will I lose the research points I have accumulated towards this project thus far?

This all of course has nothing to do with a visit from an goodly Mr Claus.

Thanks.

Points gotten for research in an item are never lost. The computer saves them. So if you wanted you could stop researching battle dress, and then get back to it whenever. The research will still be there.

As a matter of fact, that could be best. You will end up with leftover SRP after getting Improved Refined Crystals. So you put Battle Dress back into slot 1 after a one turn absence, and it will get those last remaining points, making up for the one turn of no research.

Question in regards to life form design for those of you who have been playing SN for a while.

Obviously the design can't be good at everything - most attributes are fairly well defined as to +/- for each specific characteristic with the exception of Size, Strength, and Agility. The advantages/disadvantages on these characteristics is straight forward enough with regards to Ground Combat / Close-Combat / Defense - what, if any, kind of effect do they have on items such as construction and colonization? :blink:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The only information that I have gathered so far is that the game is a work in progress and what may be true today may not be true tomorrow. For now, the plus / minus percentages are added up and applied to your lifeform without regard to differentiating between a bonus to colonization gained from Chemical Exchanger versus the bonus gained from Regenerative Constitution. The plus may in fact be a different % for each different lifeform category but after the lifeform is calculated then it is stored as bonus / detriment for the 9 categories. You can make some guesses and try to work out the bonuses through experimentation if you have intimate knowledge of a couple other setups and how the bonuses affected their startups. In my opinion the RB (Research Bonus) and SB (Special Bonus) are the most important categories. Colonization bonuses can be overcome through technology which can be gleaned more quickly with a high RB. I think the SB applies mostly to exploration which is becoming more important all the time. There may be certain situations that are coded specifically to a certain lifeform choice (or maybe in the future) but I am unaware of them. Pete and Russ have a huge task of programming all the possibilities one might encounter, but obviously their first priority would be to get the program to operate correctly first. Some things may seem unreal in a sense but that is the limit of programming, not imagination. Use the "fluff" for your enjoyment and don't worry about the numbers so much. That is the oldest flaw of the Power Gamer....the numbers being the character instead of the character being what the character is...or in this case what the lifeform/leader/empire is. Your first priority should be to enjoy playing your empire. This requires some imagination, some roleplay, and some game mechanics. If you get caught up in the numbers too much you may lower your enjoyment level.

Of course, this is a thread for NEWBIES after all as I know some of you who are reading this are saying to yourself DUH, shut up already.

Happy Gaming!!

Research Report: How much "-" are printed/needed to have 100% research? :blink:

Inlcuding the > ... 20 total. In other words each - or > represents 5% (give or take a little due to rounding by the computer to display the current level).

Not quite. The > is just a directional indicator and means nothing in terms of actual progress. The dashes (-'s) appear only in pairs (even numbers). Each pair represents at least 10% progress (your progress is rounded down to the nearest 10% to determine the number of dashes you get, hence the "at least.") The last thing you will see before you acquire the tech is 18 bars and "nearly completed." You would see 20 bars except when that happens you already have the tech, so 20 bars never appear.

The semantic descriptions (e.g. "early stages") correspond with amounts of progress, but they are not in sync with the bars. Hence, you can have 4 bars at "early stages" then the next turn you still have 4 bars but now it's "good progress." That is because the thresholds for these descriptions are different from the thresholds that trigger the bars.

- woolfe

Not only do I agree with Ed's post, I would add this...

While colonization bonuses have been expensive to buy and cost me in the SRP department, the technology alternatives have been HUGELY expensive to implement, to compensate for what a lifeform can otherwise do inherently.

Its a very sweet tradeoff, and one that is more well-done than even *perhaps* the designers anticipated. Every turn I wish I had more SRP's but I find more easily colonizeable worlds than I would have dreamed of. Ideal worlds, requiring little or nothing in the area of survival.

As Ed pointed out, this is primarily aimed at the newer/starting out crowd.

PS I also wouldn't start a race without enhanced growth rates of some kind. That has also been worth its weight in pressed latinum.

Points gotten for research in an item are never lost.  The computer saves them.  So if you wanted you could stop researching battle dress, and then get back to it whenever.  The research will still be there.

As a matter of fact, that could be best.  You will end up with leftover SRP after getting Improved Refined Crystals.  So you put Battle Dress back into slot 1 after a one turn absence, and it will get those last remaining points, making up for the one turn of no research.

Thank you for your help, WKE235.

But then if I did that another saved lifepoint would kick in on slot 1...

So maybe this explains why the "Slot 1 effect" seemed to last longer previously than the number of lifepoints I had remaining?

But then if I did that another saved lifepoint would kick in on slot 1...

Not sure what you mean by that. Research progress is stored per tech, not per RC. If you have a tech in slot 13 and move it to slot 16, putting a new tech in slot 13, the new tech will get nothing left over from the previous tech, and the previous tech will "carry" its accumulated points with it to the next RC.

I think one reason the SRP's seem to last longer is that the slot 1 RC generates research points normally like every other RC. Hence, if a tech costs 12 points, and you put it in slot 1 with no prior progress, the actual SRP cost is 11, because the slot 1 RC generated 1 point before you used your SRP's to buy what's left. Over a period of say 20 turns, that means you have about 20 more SRP's left than you thought you had if you didn't take this into account.

Ed / Octagon999 - Thanks for the replies. :ph34r: One more NEWBIE question I hope that I don't find out through trial and ERROR - I didn't see any comments on the subject in the other threads I've navigated through so far.

Any experience with Mental Powers? I would assume that developing them would not be worth point expenditure unless you go to a class 3 or 4. Thoughts?

Thanks Again,

Vince

Ed / Octagon999 - Thanks for the replies. :ph34r: One more NEWBIE question I hope that I don't find out through trial and ERROR - I didn't see any comments on the subject in the other threads I've navigated through so far.

Any experience with Mental Powers? I would assume that developing them would not be worth point expenditure unless you go to a class 3 or 4. Thoughts?

Thanks Again,

Vince

My opinion, now that we have seen the research system, is that if you are going to buy a mental power, buy it at level 4. This is because of the geometric progression of cost to research, vs the flat cost of purchasing them with points at setup.

Whether its worth buying or not, is something best left for others. I think it has been demonstrated to help with exploraration.

An alternative strategy would be to buy just the entry level mental powers and slowly research them over time, and save the 150 points for levels 2 - 4. Its a judgement call, but I would side with purchasing the whole package up front.