Rolling Thunder Forums

Galactic Senate Proposal and Charter Requirements

EternusIV

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Nest of Zylaria votes "NO" to GS Bill 061404-01

May The Nest point out that the other two Bills are NOT up for vote for they have no seconds, and it is stated clearly in that the deadline is for a SECOND. Are they so many illiterate races in the galaxy?

The Nest refuses to second any bill so far proposed.

Queen Zy'lar'isa of The Nest of Zylaria

Sha'thar lowers her head to be more in line with the average height of the other senators, the growling and purring of the great cat being translated...

"The Clan Eldress of the Sha'thar suggests that all motions before the Senate be counted as seconded, as I do so second them now. Here are our votes on motions currently proposed:

I choose to abstain on 061404-01

I vote yes in favor of 061404-02

I vote yes in favor of 061404-03

I would like to start discussion on how senate members will coordinate military action, when such becomes required. While the universe is huge and it has taken us some time for us to actually start meeting, actual encounters are on the increase. It's only a matter of time before technology and exploration bring us into contact.

What are thoughts regarding the formation, when it is possible, of a Senate military arm for the purpose of mutual defense? I do wonder if I am misunderstanding the purpose of the senate. Are we... (here the translator scrambles to translate a metaphore without complete data on Gosht Kohr fauna) more like a pride in our actions, or more like herd beasts?"

This last, if the inflections of the translator is accurate, isn't meant as a slight. Herd beasts are formidable in their own right, as anyone having to hunt with claw and fang knows. The question is more along the lines, the translator suggests, of offense-for-defense vs. defense-for-defense.

Defense against what? Sentient races must have evolved out of the need for petty squabbling or they would never have reached the stars. Is it being implied that there are ursoid marauders in space? Non-sentient beings intent on breaking our hives and stealing our food and larvae?

Surely the T'ckon from which we descend would have eliminated such things long ago.

B) Well we found in our stockpiles some cans of Raid and OFF...said they were used for insect pests... :lol: I guess since they were the official T'ckon name brand, they new how to deal with bugs...!!! :cheers:

:D ...anyone for a BUG hunt... :ph34r:

:thumbsup:

I would like to start discussion on how senate members will coordinate military action, when such becomes required. While the universe is huge and it has taken us some time for us to actually start meeting, actual encounters are on the increase. It's only a matter of time before technology and exploration bring us into contact.

What are thoughts regarding the formation, when it is possible, of a Senate military arm for the purpose of mutual defense? I do wonder if I am misunderstanding the purpose of the senate. Are we... (here the translator scrambles to translate a metaphore without complete data on Gosht Kohr fauna) more like a pride in our actions, or more like herd beasts?"

This last, if the inflections of the translator is accurate, isn't meant as a slight. Herd beasts are formidable in their own right, as anyone having to hunt with claw and fang knows. The question is more along the lines, the translator suggests, of offense-for-defense vs. defense-for-defense.

The Collectivity regards any discussion of combined military action as premture and would be much more comfortable with dealing with such matters on an ad hoc basis. As regards the nature of any future military activities the Charter as it now reads implies an orientation toward peace and cooperation and would therefore lend itself more towards a defensive posture. To this end the Collectivity will soon be offering this body a series of bills designed to facilitate peaceful coexistence and commerce.

President and Galactic Senator Logion

Benthis Collective

What are thoughts regarding the formation, when it is possible, of a Senate military arm for the purpose of mutual defense?

What exactly does the feline Senator suggest for coordinated military action?

And as long as we're debating new subjects, we think piracy should be specifically outlawed. Such parasitic actions are not in keeping with the spirit of our bylaws.

Lastly, if we find that one player gets only one vote (despite multiple empires), then it is only logical that ALL a player's empires should be bound by the bylaws. After all, if precedent says all empires only get one voice, then all empires (and the player) should be held to the same standard.

Hannibal

Carthaginian Empire

Queen Zy'lar'isa- (Is that a separate board handle? No problem if it is.)

All three bills were seconded. I seconded the one you voted on and Kurrasier seconded the other two.

Kurassier drafted the first one, so I seconded it. The dressing I added was just to make it more formal. I don't consider that bill 'drafted' by me.

I drafted the second one entirely and merely mentioned Kurassier's name as the person who suggested the root of the idea. Kurassier seconded it.

Krelnett proposed the third bill and I dressed it up a bit, Kurrasier seconded that one.

If there is a technicality or oversight that may have happened that you want to discuss, please mention it! We're a new organization and wem ight be moving too quickly according to the spirit of the law over the letter of the law.

And as long as we're debating new subjects, we think piracy should be specifically outlawed.  Such parasitic actions are not in keeping with the spirit of our bylaws.

Lastly, if we find that one player gets only one vote (despite multiple empires), then it is only logical that ALL a player's empires should be bound by the bylaws.  After all, if precedent says all empires only get one voice, then all empires (and the player) should be held to the same standard.

Right Honorable Senator Hannibal, you bring up a wonderful point. indeed, you must have read the minds of the Collectivity. One of the Measures we intend to offer is precisely an ordinance against piracy and other forms of aggressive assaults on peace and commerce. Should you profer some bill tending to require all of a members positions to abide by the codes of civilization we would gladly second such legislation.

Right Honorable Senator Sha'thar, we would like to propose that in lieu of onerous and perhaps unworkable defense regimes, that likeminded governments in this Senate instead work bilaterally to foster peace, cooperation, and ensure that the common defense is maintained. Over the many cycles we have monitered intersteller traffic we have come to regard the Pride as an honorable species and we would welcome any number of potential bilateral relationships your people see fit to offer.

The Benthis Collective

Senators-

In terms of Bills of Defense and the Prevention of Piracy, we share the sentiments of those who wish to discourage such actions amongst Senate members and to come together in times of need to support one another.

The actions of non-Senators are not bound by our laws and it is The Spawn's policy to walk carefully with newly encountered empires.

I would consider voting for anti-piracy legislation and look forward to the bill proposal.

I also would consider mutual defense legislation provided it was workable and flexible in scope. The dangers arise in dualistic governments - empires sovereign unto themselves but also sovereign to the needs of a senate - a federation or union if you will. Higher obligations to such a union are often necessary to save it and give it more power than a mere sounding board.

We must weigh these dangers and benefits of dual sovereignty, individually, of course. B)

Ahem....I send forth the following:

LLOTHIAN EMPIRE DOCTRINE

PREAMBLE

WE THE DROW RACE OF THE UNIVERSE COMMIT

*to resolve territorial disputes by conquering all opposing empires

*to abide by the Will of Lloth

*to disrupting open communication to all sentient empires through whatever means necessary

*to pass bylaws designed to promote conquest and subservitude to the Llothian Empire through force of arms, death threats, explotation, blackmailing, etc... and insure the growth and prosperity among our empire

AND FOR THESE ENDS

*to absorb our conquered empires to maintain intergalactic dominance and security through use of force

*to enforce the laws ratified by Lloth and our race unto our conquered members

*to recognize that OUR RACE is the supreme race that all other member and non-affiliated empires will bow and swear allegiance to or face our wrath B)

There...I think that sounds l whole lot better. :lol:

Oh yeah, btw, we decline. :P

Ahem....I send forth the following:

LLOTHIAN EMPIRE DOCTRINE

PREAMBLE

WE THE DROW RACE OF THE UNIVERSE COMMIT

*to resolve territorial disputes by conquering all opposing empires

*to abide by the Will of Lloth

*to disrupting open communication to all sentient empires through whatever means necessary

*to pass bylaws designed to promote conquest and subservitude to the Llothian Empire through force of arms, death threats, explotation, blackmailing, etc... and insure the growth and prosperity among our empire

AND FOR THESE ENDS

*to absorb our conquered empires to maintain intergalactic dominance and security through use of force

*to enforce the laws ratified by Lloth and our race unto our conquered members

*to recognize that OUR RACE is the supreme race that all other member and non-affiliated empires will bow and swear allegiance to or face our wrath B)

There...I think that sounds l whole lot better. :lol:

Oh yeah, btw, we decline. :P

OOC: Clever mockery :P

The Collective would remind the LLOTHIAN EMPIRE's delegtion that it forgot to sign its name with an empire number. Such information would be very helpful in the establishing appropriate diplomatic relations with your people.

The Benthis Collective

#4579 :lol:

The Collective would remind the LLOTHIAN EMPIRE's delegtion that it forgot to sign its name with an empire number. Such information would be very helpful in the establishing appropriate diplomatic relations with your people.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but in my recollection of the posts of the Llothian Empire, the only diplomacy is with a battleship and troop ships... B)

The Sabeli Ecok vote as follows:

Galactic Senate Bill 061404-01: No (only as it is superceded and included by 061404-02)

Galactic Senate Bill 061404-02: Yes

Galactic Senate Bill 061404-03: Yes

Alcorn the Honored One

Sabeli Ecok, 2996

Senators-

In terms of Bills of Defense and the Prevention of Piracy, we share the sentiments of those who wish to discourage such actions amongst Senate members and to come together in times of need to support one another.

The actions of non-Senators are not bound by our laws and it is The Spawn's policy to walk carefully with newly encountered empires.

I would consider voting for anti-piracy legislation and look forward to the bill proposal.

I also would consider mutual defense legislation provided it was workable and flexible in scope. The dangers arise in dualistic governments - empires sovereign unto themselves but also sovereign to the needs of a senate - a federation or union if you will. Higher obligations to such a union are often necessary to save it and give it more power than a mere sounding board.

We must weigh these dangers and benefits of dual sovereignty, individually, of course. B)

Right Honorable Senators-

The problem the Collectivity sees with military union and coordination is that these would contradict the Charter we just ratified. If each race is sovereign and the Charter admits of the possibility of war between members, going so far as to explicitly state that such an unfortunate situation would not bar a race from membership, then it is simply illogical to expect military cooperation as a manditory requirement. No self-respecting species would voluntarily promise to cooperate with an enemy or even an unkown on such delicate matters.

Perhaps one problem with this is the fact that membership is wide open. How could we trust another race we are not even in direct contact with to defend us? Coordinating would require the sharing of intimate details about our respective state's of military readiness. Such would be greatly apprectiated by the LLothian Empire, the Eyre, and possibly every other race regardless of hostile intent. Alliances like Phoenix Arisen surely would love us to broadcast our military plans in the Senate if for no other reason than to add to their dossiers.

At this stage it is simply impracticable and better dealt with on an ad hoc basis. If a member race comes before the Senate and asks for help, the good members will help, of that we have little doubt. This is a matter of honor and fundamental goodness, however, and should not now be a matter of legislation.

The Benthis Collective