Rolling Thunder Forums

Information disclosure

SargonKingOfSlith

So, lets say you are sitting in Deploy Location 1 with point-blank weapons, and the enemy is in Deploy Location 5 with standard weapons that have an optimal range of 3.

Whilst the ranges are now missing from the Battle Report (and perhaps they could be part of the revised FOB instead???), is that example right?

From what the blurb used to say......

Other : Standard [1] (10% dropoff), Point Blank [1] (20% dropoff, bonus from [1])

So, both Standard and Point Blank weapons (and that's everything less Missiles/Torpedoes and presumerably Fighters & Drones as they have Missile strengths) have their optimal value at DepLoc 1 and reduce thereafter. Point Blank, however, get an additional bonus from DL1.

:oops:

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one would prefer to have PETE explain it completely in a revised and complete Naval Combat Document instead of various blurbs appearing and disappearing for those who have combats so that you actually understand the rules for combat, shipbuilding and the various factors that play in during combat like leaders, morale and experience and race advantages/disads instead of lots of lots of guesswork as I am starting to feel like I'm playing Rock Scissor Stone with a blindfold on and someone telling me "You lost" :oops:

The FOBs should show the same data as in a combat for everyone to be able to be on the same footing. It should also show affects of leaders and race. But most importantly is a document actually explaining all this data and how it is calculated for those that don't have allies that are math geniuses or spreadsheet wizards. I am lucky to have such friends that explain this data to me and look over my ship designs and say "nope that wouldn't kill a lame duck" but everyone is not that fortunate! And new players should be able to feel that they have the same information as everyone else that has wrangled this data out of combats galore and discovering that most of what was said intitially on combat and such was wrong. Ranges for one should be explained. If a weapon specifically does not have a range mentioned in the ANZ, then what is it? What does the various ranges really entail. Pete has stated that pointblank weapons gain a bonus to actually being on point blank something I'd never seen stated anyhwere before, aren't such things supposed to be in the rules or at least the ANZ description? Does this mean a negative for a long range weapon to be on point blank range or? Things like how minefields really work still are very unclear to me with this whole range issue as well as what the ANZ says and how combat works does not compute for me but that is just one example

This comes down to one thing. There is a need to revise and clear up the rules and the naval battle documents now, not later.

/Locklyn

Certainly can't disagree with that.....

The one thing I would comment, however, is that the Race and Leader effects are a couple of areas where subjective descriptions would be fine....

Something along the lines of....

"The tactical superiority of Admiral Slartibartfast aided by the cunning of Lt Yin Yang, proved the decisive element in increasing the firepower of the fleet..."

or

"Even though you had 10x as many divisions in the battle as the attackers, you lost because they were 50x the size and their merest touch induced death..."

My reasoning is that race and character differences wouldn't be known until you actually met another empire.

How your weapons, defences and tactics work, however, is something we really should know........please

Mx

Yes...

The thing is we have a lot of things that can affect combat, leaders, morale, experience, presence of certain installations, raciial abilities and so on but nowhere is this presented in the actual results! There are a ton of installations supposedly helping you with Ground Combat but what they actually do and how much they affect is nowhere to be seen and this streak continues throughout the game with mysterious values such as stability. This value apparently determines how happy your populace are with you, it'll go down when you build lots of cloning installations and up when you build installations to keep the population happy but there is no way of getting this value known to you inside the game so you can never evaluate if you are going the right way with your strategy because of all the smoke and mirrors.

Subjective lines are fine as long as we see that they actually do something and not everything is hidden in one big gob of numbers.

/Locklyn

Hey guys

As promised to Pete and Russ and a couple others...I'm developing a massive forum index. I've gone through almost 100% of the Rules and Mechanics posts with relevant rule changes and comments and plan to hit the Forum and old Snrote board for similar info. Its organized by topic with an index. I have over 30+ pages right now and will be edited and formatted into a massive PDF. It mostly contains GM clarifications and player discoveries that are 'confirmed'. If its a theory or we have missing information on that topic, I say so. I was hoping to finish it up by THIS turn cycle, but I got buried with work.

Its clear that the game is truly one that is 'in progress'

The game wasn't finished when they released it...and it never will be 'finished', either.

I have volunteered my time to do this because Pete and Russ seem to be busy with other important things.

With that said, there remain a million questions on the finer details. The release of information about fire control was REVOLUTIONARY in how we design fleets....had I known the information from the beginning I would have planned my research VERY differently. I foresee several such 'discoveries' and mini-revolutionaries on how the game works. I accept this thus far.

The process of 'discovery' can be frustrating. At first, I was game for 'discovering' the game as we went...but now I can see that opens the door for victory to go to the 'lucky guesser'

I'm still here, though....why? Pete has told us a million times that game is balanced. I believe him. I think that the process of design was complete before launch, but the coding has been gradual. We are able to 'discover' the mechanics of the game as the code catches up with the central design.

To quote a realist: "it is what it is"

And I'm still having fun with the game and don't see any gross inequities thus far... :oops:

That was said as well as it can be. Kudos on all the hard work. I am looking forward to it.

On a side note....I hope we can meet up in Everquest II soon. I have been finding it hard to locate groups that know how to help each other; A lot of greedy players out there.

Considering how much time I have put in so far I can truly see that label being appropriate....lol. The game just shipped last week and already there are level 20+ guys running around. I am only level 8 right now.

Ed, I would guess there will be level 50s in another two weeks. Some people have too much time.

No thanks on joining EQ2. It took awhile to kick the last EQ addiction. B)

Hear Hear! I'll second that! :alien:

The discovery of SN:ROTE caused me to drop EverCrack completely, cold-turkey, all 3 accounts.. :rolleyes:

I now spend a little less time and considerably more cash for my entertainment. Wait a minute, how did that happen? :cheers:

The discovery of SN:ROTE caused me to drop EverCrack completely, cold-turkey, all 3 accounts.. 

I now spend a little less time and considerably more cash for my entertainment. Wait a minute, how did that happen? 

Heh Heh. Same story here. In fact I am now considering spending even more money here. (That should make RTG happy)

BTW I was on Rodcet Nife and Lanys T'Vyl servers.

PS Sorry for the thread Hi jack even though I did not start it. :drunk::taz:

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update....

I'm still going through posts and organizing information. Its taking me a lot longer than I expected but I don't feel too rushed. I'm hoping for something readable and comprehensible as the final product.

I sense a few more major updates on the horizon and perhaps with some help we can put together our own updated version of how space combat works. I know it would be nice to have Pete publish this...but its clear he is busy actually putting the report stuff into the FOBs.

An aside to the MMO guys (Ed in particular)

World of Warcraft has absorbed a hefty percentage of the free time I set aside for gaming :ranting:

I think my EQ II days will be short-lived at this juncture.

Lord Eternus -

I am not sure if your comment on bridge systems is accurate when listed as revolutionary. One problem in this game is the vastness of technology. As can be seen by our recent victories over the renegade romans who decided to declare hostilities we used an older ship with heavy fire power to destroy them. Our bridge control was horrible and we suffered damage but here are the alternatives:

1. Excellent Weapons. Good Armor..Good Movement.. Poor Bridge

or

2. Good Weapons with Good armor and Bridge and poor movement (takes longer to get there)

or

3. Poor Armor or Weapons with good movement and good bridge..

Kill more ships at a time but inflict less damage

It all balances.