Rolling Thunder Forums

Information disclosure

SargonKingOfSlith

I'd like to delve a little deeper into the damage report thingy WKE? Did you get an explanation why your ship varied from Light to Medium damage from Pete?

Secondly I would like to know if Morale and Experience are on a fleet level. Ie are the mystical modifiers for morale and experience added to just that ships part of the gob of firepower damage and defensive CIDS or is it calculated on a fleet level?

/Locklyn

I can answer one question. As of three turns ago, unless changed by Pete, ships have individual levels of experience, as seen in this section of of an FOB order just before the attackon the NSI warp point:

--------------------[Deploy Location 9] 6 FC Dahak (Frontier Cruiser - 326,100 tons [each])-----------------------------

Fire Control: Fair .. Maneuverability: Slow .. Sensors: Oblivious .. Shields: None .. Structural Integrity: Sturdy

12 Drone Rack .... 12 Fighter Bay .... 120,000 Ghost-Nine Armor Coating .... 2,400 Laser CIDS .... 600 Light Beam Laser

(Coherent Beam) .... 600 Light Stun Beam (Sonic) .... 600 Light Thermal Lance .... 600 Mk I Deflector .... 1,200 Mk I

Standard Missile (Missile) .... 120,000 Titanium Composite Armor .... 120 Type A Defense Screen

Experience.... Green: 2 ...Seasoned: 4

Morale.... ...Reliable: 1 ...Stout: 4 ...Determined: 1

6 Cruisers -- 2 were Green, 4 Seasoned for experience. And for Morale, 1 was reliable (just above Timid?), 4 Stout, and 1 Determined. So as you can see, the experience has to be at the ship level. (Issue: There is no way to identify the Determined ship from the others. So I if I transfer one Cruiser to another fleet, which one will move is random).

Note other levels -- after Seasoned comes Line? After determined comes Resolute.

I have not asked Pete yet on the damage. Heck, I've barely had time to scan my turns (other than to see how the Bashkar, using two Battle Monitors (2 Million Tons each) destroyed two Apshai Cruisers of around 500,000 tons each while taking no damage .. using 7000 attack fighters ... Sob).

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WKE235,

One problem with the advance clearing of junkers is the minimum jump thrust (1000 tons?) for your own small ships, pushing several ships through at a time (except at my Class D, "I've got a baad feeling about this", warp tunnel size 1 jump; of course, that's going outward). Unless it's not true that the fire control gives the number of attacks per fleet, rather than per ship.

For the defender's junkers, watch what happens when they are orbital ships and the armor values are tripled. (Unless I've got that wrong too.) Then you'll be hard pressed to knock out one per glob.

7000 attack fighters at deployment location 1 is a very potent force. If the Battle Monitors

where in a deployment location lets say 10 or 11 then its very possible that the attack fighters

overwhelmed the cruisers before the cruisers weapons could knock down the shields of the

battle monitors.... hence 2 dead cruisers and no damage to the monitors.

Bashkar, all fighters move to deploc 1 when launched since their weaponry is pretty much pointblank stuff.

/Locklyn

Heck, I've barely had time to scan my turns (other than to see how the Bashkar, using two Battle Monitors (2 Million Tons each) destroyed two Apshai Cruisers of around 500,000 tons each while taking no damage .. using 7000 attack fighters ... Sob).

Oh yeah, sorry about not providing enough remains for formal identification. Our communications interceptions did pick up some whining going on between a Admiral Zast-crk and Pioneer Crszktik before they were reduced to their component ions.

Vaporizer XXVIII Admiral

Bashkar Exploration Fleet

Seems the old tactics of SN II still hold true, lucky me investing in all those beautiful shiny fighters and drones! Thought Pete said he had steered clear of those awful tactics so widely used back then?

Cheers

/Locklyn

Thought Pete said he had steered clear of those awful tactics so widely used back then?

Me too. My question is the place ships are placed dynamic or static? By that I mean does the program compare Deplocs and determine ranges or does it assume that whatever Deploc the ships are placed determine the range? For example, I have ships at Deploc 1, 3 and 7 and the enemy is at 1, 8 and 11. Say my ships are superior (naturally) and I eliminate his/her screening ships at 1. Does my range for those ships at Deploc 1 now shorten for his/her ships at 8 or do I still suffer the range penalties?

Thats right! many of you are under a false assumption that fighters or drones are some uber weapon. Well they can be if not countered just like Plasma torpedos or any of the miriad of weapons systems out there. if a player has concentrated his technology on fighters then there may be some area of tech they may be weaker on and thats where you capitolize and vise

versa.

Thought Pete said he had steered clear of those awful tactics so widely used back then?

Me too. My question is the place ships are placed dynamic or static? By that I mean does the program compare Deplocs and determine ranges or does it assume that whatever Deploc the ships are placed determine the range? For example, I have ships at Deploc 1, 3 and 7 and the enemy is at 1, 8 and 11. Say my ships are superior (naturally) and I eliminate his/her screening ships at 1. Does my range for those ships at Deploc 1 now shorten for his/her ships at 8 or do I still suffer the range penalties?

Ranges are static, set at the start of the battle based on your Formation orders.

The Deploy location of your ships determine your firepower. So point-blank weapons in Deploy location 1 fire at +20% strength, while the same weapons in Deploy Location 3 would fire at -40%. So each weapon is compared to it's optimal range, and appropriate bonuses or deductions applied to the fire power (drones and fighters always fight at full power whatever that may be).

The Deploy location of the Enemy ships influence the defense bonuses they get. The further away they are from you, the harder to hit or damage. The exact bonuses / impacts are not known yet. But the net effect would be damage from a fired glob of firepower would be reduced (to represent distance, difficulty in hitting the target, etc...).

So, lets say you are sitting in Deploy Location 1 with point-blank weapons, and the enemy is in Deploy Location 5 with standard weapons that have an optimal range of 3.

You fire on the enemy at +20% firepower. But they get some defensive advantage to reduce the damage due to distance (Deploy location 5).

They fire on you at -20% firepower (Dep Loc 5 - 3 = 2 x 10% loss per spot past optimal = -20%). But you get no reductions as you are in deploy location 1.