Rolling Thunder Forums

Please prevent cheating

cestvel

If we are talking about making this game realistic then any trade of items between empires is unrealistic, not just troops, population and fighters.

Fo example: Race A is a small brain in the jar race, highly advanced able to build Uber weapon which they give to race B a not very developed large insectoid race who supposedly can now just use this item from the box?

Do they use the same electricity and wattage? Does there computer systems use the same language and commands? Do they operate the device the same (one has tentacles the other insectoid probes?) Do they use the same tools to adjust and maintain the item?

The small race need small access ports to be able to enter and maintain a device, how does a giant race use those small access ports to maintain it?

If Race B has no comprehension of the technology and the theories behind that weapon system how can they comprehend integrating and maintaining the device let alone using it?

Alternatively Race A takes over a colnoy for Race B, builds lots of advanced industrials and deep core surveyors, technology miles ahead of what race B has, gives the colony back and everything runs perfectly, even though Race B has no idea how to build these complexs....

None of the trading in this games make any major sense in reality.

However this isnt real life and for playability we allow trades between empires.

If you ban trade of some items then I say ban them all.

But if its acceptable for one empire to be able to provide game winning space tech and advanced installations to another race then it is acceptable for the ground pounder rac to provide there expertise to make a brain in the jars army stronger.

Tech keeps the same, regardless of which race they employ. Divisions do not. That is the main difference and most important difference.

No problem with an ally assisting, as long as the divisions he uses are his and not build by someone

else and just pushed into the popgroup.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tech keeps the same, regardless of which race they employ. Divisions do not. That is the main difference and most important difference.

No problem with an ally assisting, as long as the divisions he uses are his and not build by someone

else and just pushed into the popgroup. "

Cestvel captures it perfectly.

I have no problem of an ally assisting an empire if he is using space technology that he is able to build and maintain and is operating facilities he is able to to build and operate, but not when they use technology light years ahead and complexs they cannot construct.

When a empire provides advanced tech and complexs to another empire which they have not researched I consider that just as bad as another empire providing there ground tech abilities to another race.

A weapon system is built in a factory and costs the same regardless of empire and is tradable, a Division is built in a factory and costs the same regardless of empire, if we allow one to be transfered and used by another empire then I dont see the distinction between the other. If Empire A can build weaponry that works for Empire B then Empire A can build Divisions that work for empire B also.

Either ban all as cheating or leave as is.

I have no problem of an ally assisting an empire if he is using space technology that he is able to build and maintain and is operating facilities he is able to to build and operate, but not when they use technology light years ahead and complexs they cannot construct.

When a empire provides advanced tech and complexs to another empire which they have not researched I consider that just as bad as another empire providing there ground tech abilities to another race.

A weapon system is built in a factory and costs the same regardless of empire and is tradable, a Division is built in a factory and costs the same regardless of empire, if we allow one to be transfered and used by another empire then I dont see the distinction between the other. If Empire A can build weaponry that works for Empire B then Empire A can build Divisions that work for empire B also.

Stupid babble, read again up ahead. I won't repeat.

I think that about many of your posts ;)

I think someone doesn't like it when they dont get there own way....

I think that about many of your posts ;)

I think someone doesn't like it when they dont get there own way....

Well can you please argue, I did. And no, I do not employ tech from other empire light years ahaed.

Well can you please argue, I did. And no, I do not employ tech from other empire light years ahaed.

No but you supply it to others, you are providing advanced complexes to the Kom Ka which they dont have the tech to build, interesting how that doesn't count as cheating?

A world with a kom ka population is able to build worldlab installations and continue to use them when your gone.

Also I guess any divisions you build at the Kom Ka homeworld you wont load up and use against me as it wouldnt be right for those divisions to take on your advanced tech right? They should operate and act as Kom ka as it uses there population.....

You dont like something as it worked against you, but if you do things that others consider cheating that doesnt count.

The game isnt perfect but if tech is able to be swapped for space ships and colonies the same should hold true for ground tech or every ground pounder has wasted their time as the tech they develop doesnt appear as a item you can touch and feel in the game.

Based on the discussion, it would seem I am the worst offender. Not only did I transfer population between races, I was preparing to transfer captured population to my home world, which is the ultimate crime. I have already put in regular orders this turn. Next turn, I will put in orders to do as much damage as possible to my positions (so anyone capturing the worlds will not benefit from my cheating) and then leave the game, to spare Pete the unpleasant duty of banning me. Once again, I would like to apologise to everyone. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for transferring population between races.

My whole attitude has been wrong. I have treated this like a game. All games have some "silly" features. For example, in chess, the knight moves in a L shape but relatively few horses do that in real life :-). However, it is clear that Supernova is NOT a game. It is a simulation and the rules are there only as a general guideline. I would strongly advise everyone to think long and hard about every order that they put through. If there is any way at all that that order might be considered not 100% realistic (considering that this is, of course, a sci-fi universe), do not do it.

I have enjoyed playing immensely and wish I had approached the game with a better attitude so I could continue playing.

Actually another thought, if we want to take this to the extreme....

If it is unrealistic for a division to be built by one empire and then taken over by another empire and take on there characteristics then I think it is unrealistic for a division once built to gain the abilities of any new ground tech a empire develops after its constructed.

If you build an air force and only have jets at the time then thats what that division uses, if you move that division to the front and then complete the research in advanced jets that division should not suddenly magically get that tech, how did it get it? no materials were added etc?

However if that division is able to keep taking on the new tech that one empire develops with no additional resource expense then it can do the same when taking on the tech of another empire.

Based on the discussion, it would seem I am the worst offender. Not only did I transfer population between races, I was preparing to transfer captured population to my home world, which is the ultimate crime. I have already put in regular orders this turn. Next turn, I will put in orders to do as much damage as possible to my positions (so anyone capturing the worlds will not benefit from my cheating) and then leave the game, to spare Pete the unpleasant duty of banning me. Once again, I would like to apologise to everyone. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for transferring population between races.

My whole attitude has been wrong. I have treated this like a game. All games have some "silly" features. For example, in chess, the knight moves in a L shape but relatively few horses do that in real life :-). However, it is clear that Supernova is NOT a game. It is a simulation and the rules are there only as a general guideline. I would strongly advise everyone to think long and hard about every order that they put through. If there is any way at all that that order might be considered not 100% realistic (considering that this is, of course, a sci-fi universe), do not do it.

I have enjoyed playing immensely and wish I had approached the game with a better attitude so I could continue playing.

I dont agree that this is cheating! Back me up people!

I think Lord Deependra is a very honest player but I dont think he has done anything fundamentally wrong. This is a game, alot of it is unrealistic.

The sad thing is that if you dont maxmise the rules you will fall, there are plenty of players out there who know the tech tree well, know how to maximise there worlds and bump up there allies and they prey on players and if you want to survivie you cant do that on role-playing alone.

I wanted to roleplay a race that only built big ships but I soon learned that screens in the early days rule so I built them.

I dont see trading divisions or populations as cheating, you do it to survive or you will get eaten up.

If this was a 100% realisitc game then yes its cheating, but its not so if its in the rules and allowed then I dont see it as cheating.

I agree with Peter and Marcus. Anyone who has cheated should be banned. You are either playing honestly or you are scum. End of story.

I admit I am scum. I have blatently cheated at every turn and that is not fair on Pete nor on any honest player. I call on everyone else who has cheated to join me in resigning from the game. Anyone who has done ANYTHING to change population from one race to another knew what they were doing and there is no excuse.

I would like to apologise to the vast majority of honest players out there for sullying this excellent game.

I am scum also, Ive transfered pop and troops between empires, up until now I did not consider that cheating, but Lord Deependra makes a valid point.

I will admit I have done it, will no one else join us?

Sorry mate - I cannot agree that transferring population is "cheating", nor that trade in tech is cheating. If it can be explained in real life, as this can with ease, then it cannot be "wrong" in the game. Indeed, in a game environment it is even necessary - imagine trying to keep track of what goods were manufactured on what subject world. Imagine not being able to use anything from captured worlds other than raw resources. Not being able to build your fleets or weapons. If you want realism based upon size then you would have to take the amount of materials that each different sized race could physically handle into account even for basic raw materiel. The list is endless - in the end it would mean that the only point in conquering worlds is to deny them to opponents, and that would get old very soon!

Transferring ready made troops though? I'm with you on that one. That gives me a mind's eye picture of Russians flying North Korean MiGs during the Korean war. Why not be honest about it and station troops on a threatened world in their own colony, in their own true colours; dressed their own uniforms, so to speak! Let them fight in the open as a separate but allied force.

Transferring ready made troops though? I'm with you on that one. That gives me a mind's eye picture of Russians flying North Korean MiGs during the Korean war. Why not be honest about it and station troops on a threatened world in their own colony, in their own true colours; dressed their own uniforms, so to speak! Let them fight in the open as a separate but allied force.

If Race A race has developed a spaceship item they can build an item and transfer it over to the other empire.

If race B has developed some ground tech it is unable to build any item, the item is unavailable unless they are in control of the Divisions in a fight.

Race B can provide the raw materials to Race A to build them the spaceship item but the only way Race A can supply the materials to Race B so that there ground tech is available to them is to provide them the divisions?

If one is allowed then so should the other.

Please everyone take a few breaths and calm down. The issue isn't tech, its population. The game allows you to change a person's race by transferring population and divisions between population segments that were established by different empires. Initially, I thought this was just one of the quirks of the game and thought nothing about using it. However, I have become convinced by this thread that this was not the intention of the game and that most players have been carefully avoiding exploiting it.

Since I HAVE exploited a loophole in the rules, morally I cannot keep playing as my empire is stronger than it should be if I had played honestly - although not as strong as if I had played competently, but that's another issue :-). I had considered penalising my positions (eg dumping population and stopping producing for a few turns) and then continuing correctly, but there is no way anyone could know, so there would always be a cloud over my achievements.

Okay I admit I am probably not the best person to be fighting this, I admit I walk the tight rope of morality alot in this game ;)

However Scott on the other hand is a good player there is no way he has exploited the game, I dont care what you think, this is one of the few times you are wrong Scott!!!

Most of the time Scott disagrees with me and hes my allie, if that doesnt show his credibility I dont know what does!

Im sorry I will not let you drop without a fight! And you all know I wont let up on this!

There is no way you havent played honestly!!!

Seriously this is crazy talk!!

Enjoy the game for the fact it is a game and not reality. While this is not a defence, alot of players do alot worse on a bigger scale and that is fine!

The game needs good honest players like you, you make the annoying players like me want to do better! :}