Rolling Thunder Forums

Victory! 88

Glamdring

“On the same subject, when Did the colonist decide to destroy a language that is used by a 1/4 of the planet and that brought civilization to most of the world? We may not have an empire any more but without the British Empire you lot would be speaking French.”

Ummm, obviously the English also have a different idea about what words should be capitalized within a sentence. And what is this about "a 1/4"? It should be "a fourth" no matter what side of the pond you're on. You could have also simply written "1/4", but left out the "a" that you preceded it with.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist.

A couple of Minor points, ooops I used a capital in the wrong place. As for A 1/4 or just 1/4 both are correct but I must confess I have not personally counted the population of the planet so a Fourth could be correct but as a first language aprox (is that a real word) 375 Million speak English as a first language but combined with second languages may be the most dominant language on the planet unless you combine all the mandarine dialects and to be jonest i could nto care lesss now and dont care iof the spilling is awl keput - :rolleyes:

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“On the same subject, when Did the colonist decide to destroy a language that is used by a 1/4 of the planet and that brought civilization to most of the world? We may not have an empire any more but without the British Empire you lot would be speaking French.”

Ummm, obviously the English also have a different idea about what words should be capitalized within a sentence. And what is this about "a 1/4"? It should be "a fourth" no matter what side of the pond you're on. You could have also simply written "1/4", but left out the "a" that you preceded it with.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist.

A couple of Minor points, ooops I used a capital in the wrong place. As for A 1/4 or just 1/4 both are correct but I must confess I have not personally counted the population of the planet so a Fourth could be correct but as a first language aprox (is that a real word) 375 Million speak English as a first language but combined with second languages may be the most dominant language on the planet unless you combine all the mandarine dialects and to be jonest i could nto care lesss now and dont care iof the spilling is awl keput - :ranting:

Your point about the number of people that speak English was never addressed by me, although it was never questioned either. Your estimates seem very reasonable. To be fair though, the main point of your post had little to do with how many people speak English. It had everything to do with accusing someone else (and by extension an entire country) of not being able to speak 'the King's English.' After reading your latest post, it obviously appears to be a malady that continues to plague both sides of the Atlantic. On this point I would fully agree. The eager embrace of ignorance and mediocrity in the writing and speaking of one's native language is a sad development indeed.

By the way, your last few words of wisdom were by far the most insightful and coherent things you've had to say. I bow to your imminently mature and biting wit. Dare I say that only Spongebob has spoken more lucidly and shown more insight on a topic? :rolleyes:

Correct me if I am wrong but it is English that is spoken in the colonies is it not, the same English that your beloved constitution is written in?

On the same subject, when Did the colonist decide to destroy a language that is used by a 1/4 of the planet and that brought civilization to most of the world? We may not have an empire any more but without the British Empire you lot would be speaking French.

It's been said, when speaking of the power of vote, that were it not for ONE vote, the United States would be a GERMAN speaking country. Speaking of...were it not for the Americans, the British, the Canadians, and the Australians (am I leaving out the New Zealanders?), the French would be speaking German.

Correct me if I am wrong but it is English that is spoken in the colonies is it not, the same English that your beloved constitution is written in?

On the same subject, when Did the colonist decide to destroy a language that is used by a 1/4 of the planet and that brought civilization to most of the world? We may not have an empire any more but without the British Empire you lot would be speaking French.

It's been said, when speaking of the power of vote, that were it not for ONE vote, the United States would be a GERMAN speaking country. Speaking of...were it not for the Americans, the British, the Canadians, and the Australians (am I leaving out the New Zealanders?), the French would be speaking German.

I really did not intend to shift the conversation from war to linguistics. Originally KATSUP was invented in China (ketsiap) and introduced to Europe by British sailors. I think that gives us some right to spell it our way thank you. In any event, mayonnaise goes on fries, not Katsup.

I really did not intend to shift the conversation from war to linguistics. Originally KATSUP was invented in China (ketsiap) and introduced to Europe by British sailors. I think that gives us some right to spell it our way thank you. In any event, mayonnaise goes on fries, not Katsup.

Now THAT I can totally agree with!!!

Touché :rolleyes:

On that point, I heartily agree with you. I had never tried mayo with fries, until I was stationed in Frankfurt, and then I loved it on my pomme frites. However, everytime I went to the Edwards Kaserne Snack Bar (I played AD&D in the rec facility), and asked for MAYONNAISSE, the dumb broad gave me TARTAR SAUCE. Hello! And the dumb broad was American, so there was no problem with language.

Guest Spongebob

Okay time to bring this pile of nonsence back on topic, and that topic is ME :rolleyes: The world should realise that I am the most important aspect of this world and hommage should be paid on daily basis to the Greatness that is Sponge.

I am the Awwwwwsome One

Kneel before me and beg before I invade you country, pillage your women and sleep with your cattle. Italy will develop into Greatercus Spongistanicus by invading Yugoslavia along with the rest of the Balkans.

Okay time to bring this pile of nonsence back on topic, and that topic is ME :rolleyes: The world should realise that I am the most important aspect of this world and hommage should be paid on daily basis to the Greatness that is Sponge.

I am the Awwwwwsome One

Kneel before me and beg before I invade you country, pillage your women and sleep with your cattle. Italy will develop into Greatercus Spongistanicus by invading Yugoslavia along with the rest of the Balkans.

ANYWAYS!!!!!!

Back to the more important topic of french fries/pomme frites! I have suffered the slings and arrows of many a 'grossed out' friend and family member when I dip my fries into a healthy helping of mayo, but I am never deterred from indulging in my favorite condiment. Mayo with fries or nothing!!!!

Guest Spongebob

I am more and more convinced that to be a sucessful meglomaniac and dictator is dependent on who your friends are. I have performed one of my greatest deceptions todate and secured the future of Greatercus Spongistanicus. Soon I will be-able to reveal my great plan for world domination, this is going to be another Earthling Stomping extravaganza.

Welcome to Sponge World

Okay time to bring this pile of nonsence back on topic, and that topic is ME :thumbsup: The world should realise that I am the most important aspect of this world and hommage should be paid on daily basis to the Greatness that is Sponge.

I am the Awwwwwsome One

Quite true alter ego. I am ready to kill, burn, rape, and pillage. Too long have our neighbors conspired to deny us condiments. I say we take them all on!!!! Just in time for the Hollandaise!!!

Dear DLD,

Hmmm...mayonnaise on fries, that indicates almost that you must be German, or are these French fries...anyway very interesting topic...

Greetings Rednas Ruler of Greater France in game 79 though, the Bornholm King, Victor of game so and so, survivor of game that, not the winner of game you know which number, work in progress in game???

I am more and more convinced that to be a sucessful meglomaniac and dictator is dependent on who your friends are. I have performed one of my greatest deceptions todate and secured the future of Greatercus Spongistanicus. Soon I will be-able to reveal my great plan for world domination, this is going to be another Earthling Stomping extravaganza.

Welcome to Sponge World

Dear Spongieboobie,

Oh man o man, what are you talking about? Your are convinced blabla on who your friends are. I guess you did forget one letter, the letter r, so that the word is rare and than the sentence is not correct. It should be something like "...my vague acquaintances are rare". That would to me the correct sentence.

And yes I agree with you about the fact that you have performed a great deception, I think you mean yourself in this. And this domination thing of you will never reach beyond the planning stadium...but who knows.

I am also always planning and the good thing about planning is that you can adjust your planning to the reality, in this way your planning will always be correct.

Greetings Rednas Ruler of Greater France VIC79, but maybe I am in this game...RNA Bornholm will reveal all you want to know.

Happy Eastern everybody and good gaming.

Guest Spongebob

Come on Redarse, tell me your playing, you cant keep living on the success of V79, you must have moved on and joined the fray once more. Tell you one thing, there are still an awful lot of countries unknown still. Do they all fear the Sponge?