Official: Turns Are In Thread

EternusIV

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually no, I had 67% loss for a system 7 jumps out, seems like Pete has instigated HARSH distance caps...figure the higher level techs will help somewhat

Cheers

/Locklyn

I also had 1% loss insystem with planetary gates and yes I have the highest gate tech (ie before pete added new ones)

1% of 67 billion tonnes of materials is still a lot :angry2:

/Locklyn

I'm still irritated that cloaks don't work for ships. I built several ships with cloaks in anticipation of them working eventually. Guess it is now just wasted space on the ship. :laugh:

For game balance I am glad that gate loss has been implemented.

This will hopefully put an end to core players abusing this tech and transferring vast amounts of high tech items to there newer empires set-up in relatively junior areas of space.

While it technically was not cheating it definitely has given certain players an unfair advantage and has spoilt the game for many (myself included).

I look forward to fighting on a fairer playing field in the future.

For game balance I am glad that gate loss has been implemented.

This will hopefully put an end to core players abusing this tech and transferring vast amounts of high tech items to there newer empires set-up in relatively junior areas of space.

While it technically was not cheating it definitely has given certain players an unfair advantage and has spoilt the game for many (myself included).

I look forward to fighting on a fairer playing field in the future.

I have a feeling that the people who can no longer transfer things via UGs will be using 1000AP billion ton ships to move things around. Half a dozen of one, six of the other...

Hopefully now that convoys work so much faster this won't cause turns to come on the weekend once people abandon using their UGs...

A few notes on gate losses.

First, no player has anywhere near the maximum tech possible for loss reduction. This is fairly obvious because it is not possible for an empire to have researched the new more advanced lines of Universal Gate and Planetary Cargo Gate techs since they were just added to the game last turn. As per the notes at the top of the previous turn cycle, "Mk IV, V and VI versions of both Planetary Cargo Gate and Universal Gate technologies have been added to the game."

Second, distance is not determined by jumps, which can be extremely arbitrary when considering potential one-way warp lines, but by true distance between the stars involved. This reveals an interesting way to pin down the exact relative locations of any pair of stars, among other things.

Losses can be reduced quite significantly once you achieve the higher appropriate tech levels. Planetary Cargo Gates realize unusually good benefits, as in-system item transport is not an issue. As per last turn's notes, "Achieving higher levels of tech advancement in PCG and UG technology is highly recommended to avoid severe losses."

First, no player has anywhere near the maximum tech possible for loss reduction. This is fairly obvious because it is not possible for an empire to have researched the new more advanced lines of Universal Gate and Planetary Cargo Gate techs since they were just added to the game last turn. As per the notes at the top of the previous turn cycle, "Mk IV, V and VI versions of both Planetary Cargo Gate and Universal Gate technologies have been added to the game."

Second, distance is not determined by jumps, which can be extremely arbitrary when considering potential one-way warp lines, but by true distance between the stars involved. This reveals an interesting way to pin down the exact relative locations of any pair of stars, among other things.

Losses can be reduced quite significantly once you achieve the higher appropriate tech levels. Planetary Cargo Gates realize unusually good benefits, as in-system item transport is not an issue. As per last turn's notes, "Achieving higher levels of tech advancement in PCG and UG technology is highly recommended to avoid severe losses."

Pete,

I am the player who had the 13% loss of material. The basic facts are these: (1) The transfer was between gates built/owned/powered by the same race (2) the race has Mk III Universal Gates (which previously had a loss of 3% when these tech was first discovered) (3) The warp information is that is was a single A warp point between the systems doing the transfer. (4) the empire in question started with the very first turn of the game and cannot be considered a newbie empire.

While I understand the need to prevent older races from abusing the U-gate system with younger races (I also understand the need to correct issues with older alliances), the new penalties are, in my opinion, to harsh when transferring materials within a race/empire.

Frankly, you have opened yourself up to a new abuse where empires will create scorched "earth" scenarios by transferring their pop/materials/etc. Unless the enemy can capture the system extremely quickly, this would deny the materials to the enemy making attacking any enemy with gates pointless as the fruits of the victory will be lost. Admittedly, I have transferred one HW out from an enemy already and it is happily producing elsewhere. Now it will just die adding nothing to the enemy. Where before I would continue fighting, if I lose to much I will simply stop being a viable empire and suicide the position through gate transfers.

I would like to recommend the following modifications:

1) Transfers within an empire be calculated at less of a loss rate

2) A new order be included in the game that allows for an empire with gate technology to estimate what the loss will be between two same empire pop segments.

Good Cheer,

Rick

I BELIEVE I answered a message that said MAX gate tech BEFORE the new additions, your stating that no one is at max is Spurious, ANY way This is too harsh and is a game breaker for me. I do not intend to waste money going to the NEW max tech to find out my NEAREST neighbors HW is still 100 percent GATE LOSS. I tested all combinations of HWs and colonies with allies, and found 1 world at 64 percent loss, and all the rest at 100 percent.

Acting like it is the players fault that you did not fix gates yet is beyond the pale.

You also never fixed worms, to give fleet sightings. Instead that bug is now called a feature.

For those of you that do not know, Wormholes work for anyone not just your empire, after other empires USED them, and pete could not fix it this turned into a FEATURE of wormholes that he posted on the turns sheets.

Later when ships kept appearing where blockade fleets should of stopped them another FEATURE of wormholes was found, IE you do not get a sighting of ships coming thru wormholes and if by some strange circumstance they are sighted, NO battle will be generated.

SO if another player finds one end of a WORM link, they can warp thru see whats there and warp back and you will never be the wiser, they can even stay and do SS PMAP GEO ORB CSV scratch their butts, and the leave. Nice Feature. Yes the only way this was found out was have a third empire fly thru and see fleet, still no battle though.