Rolling Thunder Forums

Calling Player 3535

WKE235

<OOC>

Please be advised that my avatar and a close fascimile of my board name are being used by others in jest. Though it does not particularly bother me, I would ask all to consider the details in future posts (such as the one above) to avoid any assumptions or misunderstandings as to my true motives and perspective.

Thanks

Mark

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, all the GSL player DID was warp in. It was the other guy who had "hot" encounter conditions. He could have had "fire if fire upon" conditions, but he didn't. He wanted a fight, and he got it.

But he fired the first shot. No warning, just a 4cm autocannon round through the bridge.

That makes the person warping in the aggressor?

Sheesh. Whatever.

He went thought the Warp point a second time. The second time he already knew the zone was hot. I know he says it was an accident, but will the other player believe that? Who will the other player think is the agressor? Especially after the second fleet came though?

But this one is the one I most feared to see!

We watch all the movies and we see all the TV programmes, especially the Sci-Fi ones - is this what the US Hawks are really like and are there many playing the game? I know all Americans are not like this having interracted with some sterling ones over the last several months.

Man, you need to get a grip, this is a game. Personnal attack is not warrented

Our government posits that the NSI can have no universally recognized claim on the territory it is "protecting" unless and until the NSI takes it upon itself to prove up the right it asserts--assuming that is what he is doing--to the space it wants to defend. It is very hard to do that without responding to diplomatic communications. The universe is vast and space is free. If one wishes to segment a portion of space and make it one's own, some overt and publicly recognizable activity or communication has to be put forward.

For all we really know the NSI is just looking for a fight and the Concordium has given it to them.

Boo Consulate

Ah, back to the fray!

An unsurprising comment from the PA - who, and I have no problem with this, it would appear, have taken an uneqivocal stance of an intention to dominate the galaxy.....

Luckily there is a defined 'game' answer, which I have implicitly assumed in my approach, to whom is an aggressor.

To whit, if you have an ROE of 'S', or higher then you intend to kill anyone you meet at first contact.

By this definition it is clearly the NSI that were the aggressors.

Another Point. Since when is it totally horrible to have picket ships around your empire at warp points with shoot to kill orders? This is WAR? I think not, this is self preservation. Until someone is a friend they are a potential enemy, and the less intel they have about your area the better.

But this one is the one I most feared to see!

We watch all the movies and we see all the TV programmes, especially the Sci-Fi ones - is this what the US Hawks are really like and are there many playing the game? I know all Americans are not like this having interracted with some sterling ones over the last several months.

If you don't think it's "horrible" to attempt to destroy the first visitor to our planet at first contact, then the human race had better self-destruct right now, because we have no place in the universe....... :cheers:

It's not self preservation, it's clear naked aggression.

This is a game and if you want to play the 'Independance Day' style of alien, then go ahead. I and others will happily stand against you - why, because even though we are the good guys, we want to explore the armed conflict side of the game too and it's nice to have some enemies whom you feel justified, rather than run Live Fire for Real Exercises with your alliance mates. And we assume you'll come after us anyway.

But whilst this is a Wargame, just like Go, Chess, Cricket and Football are all stylised warfare made civilised, it doesn't just have to be about Armed Conflict.

The GSL is about seeing if this game, unlike many others, can be played with the other options for expansion - through peace and trade and exploration.

Will we fight wars, I expect so. Man is a competative animal and we like to measure ourselves against others, even those of us who live in peace. And I suspect there's more than enough players out there who will play for just the warfare side of it, the piracy bit, or just the plain 'king of the hill' side of it.

Be it known, there are some out there, and I count myself amongst them, like the GSL who will hope for peace and trade. We will welcome with open arms, but defend against 'aggression' and 'domination'

My fleets are all on R orders (apart from some Q's from the beginning) and I will not shoot first.

You can ask why they're not on P or Q and the answer is simple - it's because I don't want to have to submit 20 turnsheets when I meet someone who wants to 'play'..............I'll just declare them an enemy.

The only time this would change is for the fleet that might have to intercept the alien who doesn't repsond to hails and carries on into my own systems regardless - that's also 'aggression'.....

M2CW

Well lets see, ahhhh this is a game. I hope you know that. I like to roleplay my postions in many games. I have played good and bad, and in between.

IN the real world, a Warship, airplane, would be shot down if it flew over a country without permission, sure the country would try to warn the plane off first, but no answer, blown to bits.

Difference in this game is, the warp point. You can not warn another empire not too come here, unless you are willing to give every empire your system names.

My idea, is my scouts have orders not to fire unless fired upon, these fleets should make first contact. But behind these fleets are my pickett fleets, that are HOT.

Could someone make it past my scouts and hit a picket, yes. Why have them?

To protect my territory.

Explorers of my HW, say we were once part of a large alliance, and that the alliance was utterly destroyed.

Jack Crow and other Pirates are out there

I will not be Leader of my empire long if I do not protect my people

Note: I have run into two different empires and players. Heck, I may be the only one in contact with two players right now (I have yet to see anyone else claim contact with two or more). How did my first contact situation go with player 2?

My pathfinder ran into some larger ship and a scout level ship. They could have fired and blown the little ship away. Instead, I managed to contact the player. We reached agreement to at least not harm each other, and perhaps (depending on how the game and tech develops) maybe even trade or try some experiments together. I agreed to go no further that the star I ran into him. I agreed to do GEO's and PMAP's of planets in the system and share the info so we could possible locate worlds in that system we could each colonize to start a trade relationship. I even have basic information about his homeworld stats (gravity and the like) and if I find a world that may suit him, I will forward it (he and I appear to both have very bad matches for finding colonies).

So, one player, no "Fire on sight orders", responded to messages, result is hopefully good for both players.

Second player, "Fire on sight orders", xenophobic at best (or perhaps damn good AI for a dropped spot), result is a pile of space debris, one dead character, and a ship that probably can't get home (nicknamed "Ol' Smokey" due to all the battle damage, though "Swiss Cheese" was a runner up in name the 70% damage ship contest).

So, what do you think are the better options???

Admiral Crow

This is a mischaracterization.  The intended message is "remain silent at the peril of intergalactic peace and security."  Another simple maxim that our government hopes will be recognized is:  "Do not cry foul because someone stumbles upon your territory when you have failed to post 'no trespassing' or 'beware of angry domesticated animal' signs."

We do not seek to impose our views on others.  We do seek to pursuade the other spacefaring races to adopt a policy that is conducive to openess, trade, and friendship.  Mostly we do not wish to be shot for no good reason.  Shooting at the wayward explorer upon the first contact between two races is certainly not the best way to begin a relationship of trust and peace.

Sovereign races may do as they will, but all should be forewarned not to fire upon the Boo.

Boo Consulate

GSL MEMBER

So let me get this straight.

I find a GSL player. I use my Transwarp drive to move past his beacon ships. I do not fire at him. I scout deep into his territory, and find his HW. I fly up and scan it, not attacking. All the time I am sending him emails, telling him I mean no harm, and am just scouting, and we are talking about setting up borders and such. This would be ok, with the BOo, and the GLS as a whole?

Again, the Boo sing only for themselves.

To avoid the senario you have just put forward the Boo publish their sovereign systems. Those that frequent the forum know where we are already. If a ship shows up in our space without permission we will deal with them on a case by case basis, but we reserve the right to forcably evict said ship. We will not look fondly upon a ship from one of the "board troll" races showing up in our systems; that we can chant with certainty. The Boo live in a free society and free societies often pay a price for their openess. We also hope to gain much in the way of good will and commerce because of this same openess.

We may run the risk of a scan, but a scan is passive intelligence and in all likihood dated by the time one could reasonably act on it. Geography, while a factor in war, is but one factor among many. The fact is we do not care if others know where our homeworld is located. We do not care if others know what mineral wealth we have. We have carved out a small piece of the Galaxy for ourselves and our hatchlings. We neither seek, nor require more at this time. It is doubtful that we will ever need anymore than what we have. Vistors are welcomed, provided they seek negotiated permision first. Unwanted visitors will be asked to leave, those that do not will perish.

We must say in closing that an analysis of Macro Hard's policy reveals a generally reasonable approach, one that is shared by many, we are sure.

As for our GSL compatriots, they each have their own policies and the Alliance itself has none that we am aware of. We represent only the Boo.

Boo Consulate

GSL Member

Again, the Boo sing only for themselves.

To avoid the senario you have just put forward the Boo publish their sovereign systems. Those that frequent the forum know where we are already. If a ship shows up in our space without permission we will deal with them on a case by case basis, but we reserve the right to forcably evict said ship. We will not look fondly upon a ship from one of the "board troll" races showing up in our systems; that we can chant with certainty. The Boo live in a free society and free societies often pay a price for their openess. We also hope to gain much in the way of good will and commerce because of this same openess.

We may run the risk of a scan, but a scan is passive intelligence and in all likihood dated by the time one could reasonably act on it. Geography, while a factor in war, is but one factor among many. The fact is we do not care if others know where our homeworld is located. We do not care if others know what mineral wealth we have. We have carved out a small piece of the Galaxy for ourselves and our hatchlings. We neither seek, nor require more at this time. It is doubtful that we will ever need anymore than what we have. Vistors are welcomed, provided they seek negotiated permision first. Unwanted visitors will be asked to leave, those that do not will perish.

We must say in closing that an analysis of Macro Hard's policy reveals a generally reasonable approach, one that is shared by many, we are sure.

As for our GSL compatriots, they each have their own policies and the Alliance itself has none that we am aware of. We represent only the Boo.

Boo Consulate

GSL Member

Well then, the BOO, and Marcohard agree neither policy is unreasonable. :cheers:

I hope I that you were talking about the fleets behind my scouts, and to clarify, i am talking about your declaration of system names.

We are very pleased to have arrived at this point of detante.

As long as we are not shot at while exploring, we intend to be good Galactic Citizens and not bother anyone else. Our problem is not with those that place scouts and territory markers on their frontiers, backed up by powerful warships. This is sensible. We are concerned about those that would shot us merely for passing through the neighborhood. The entire territorial policy of the Boo is inspired by this one concern. The Boo lay few eggs, but live long. We do not like loosing flockmates.

In Peace

Boo Consulate

GSL MEMBER

MM Wrote:

To Mr. Locklyn:

I tremble....what would you release? Is that a threat? And what couldn't I keep to myself? The fact that you promised to keep my info to yourself? Hmmm.... Has my info been shared among the GSL then...tisk tisk..and I had the assurance it would be kept quiet. Thank God you have little of my info...but oh what is this master star system file I have of GSL planets... Now that is a threat.

No threat, that's not mine or our style, just a massive sense of disappointment in you and the trust I placed in you once. Your info hasn't been shared as Lord Valwyn still holds it with that integrity you so clearly lack. For one who left the alliance because you felt there was so much criticism and you wanted fun, you sure have weird ways of having fun by berating and belittling those once calling you friend and ally.

And that is all I have to say to you, now or further down the road

/Lars Aka Locklyn