Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 87

Guest Spongebob

I just like having something to do every turn that isn't: Build my nation, fight a dead Russian, kill lots of LDB's like I did for 35+ turns in this game. Win or lose, the late game dynamic has been enjoyable. I just tyre of the bellyaching from both of your lots. Quit the: "OH, it's 8 (10) (20) against one, so you have to feel sorry for me" and the "We have to do something about the Northern Alliance or they are going to win, & THIS game has been decided if...", crap and play the game out.

Now, if: "IF's and BUT's were candy and nuts, OH what a party we would have!" Just play......quit the BS complaining, we all have oiur own problems in the game and have to deal with them accordingly.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Its fun. Lots of things to do and the first time ever for me I will be getting to the end of the game.

I tried to put the whining in another perspective with my last long post and its not about winning, Its about having fun.

I just like having something to do every turn that isn't: Build my nation, fight a dead Russian, kill lots of LDB's like I did for 35+ turns in this game. Win or lose, the late game dynamic has been enjoyable. I just tyre of the bellyaching from both of your lots. Quit the: "OH, it's 8 (10) (20) against one, so you have to feel sorry for me" and the "We have to do something about the Northern Alliance or they are going to win, & THIS game has been decided if...", crap and play the game out.

Now, if: "IF's and BUT's were candy and nuts, OH what a party we would have!" Just play......quit the BS complaining, we all have oiur own problems in the game and have to deal with them accordingly.

Hey, I lost all my tanks and planes twice (or did I) and you don't hear me complaining. Heck, last turn my subs sank an entire Transjordanian fleet, and I don't even have a freakin port. Of course they were only minesweepers, :laugh: but I did sink them all! :woohoo:

LONG, LONG LIVE NIZWA!!!!

AND LONG LIVE ????????? :cheers:

Hey, I lost all my tanks and planes twice (or did I) and you don't hear me complaining. Heck, last turn my subs sank an entire Transjordanian fleet, and I don't even have a freakin port. Of course they were only minesweepers, :laugh: but I did sink them all! :woohoo:

Yeah, that was the fleet I sent to be sure that the subs had no more ammo left. Worked like a charm! All transports can again race through the seas safely.

Yeah, that was the fleet I sent to be sure that the subs had no more ammo left. Worked like a charm! All transports can again race through the seas safely.

Actually, no. It didn't take much MUN to sink those ships. Try again! :beer:

I did, you didn't shoot at them. But I'll send more minesweepers your way, see if you can actually hit those.

What are the rules on the use of ammunition? The tech sheets state a certain numer of ammo used per round,

Is that the ammunition used in a full salvo?

Naval warfare is still a bit new for me but in a battle most warships don't fire all of the guns they could, e.g. only 1 shell of the 16 they could.

Do they consume less ammunition that way? (I hope so)

Do they only fire full broadsides against targets in their own class?

Do secondary and tertiary armament use up ammunition?

And there are Persian ships nearby to test if your subs are out of ammunition.

What are the rules on the use of ammunition? The tech sheets state a certain numer of ammo used per round,

Is that the ammunition used in a full salvo?

Naval warfare is still a bit new for me but in a battle most warships don't fire all of the guns they could, e.g. only 1 shell of the 16 they could.

Do they consume less ammunition that way? (I hope so)

Do they only fire full broadsides against targets in their own class?

Do secondary and tertiary armament use up ammunition?

And there are Persian ships nearby to test if your subs are out of ammunition.

Ammo is per full salvo, so including secondary and tertiary guns and torpedoes. Basically, for one round's worth of ammunition, the ship fires 'everything' (guns/tubes) that can reach the target at that range.

How often every gun/tube fires depends on the distance and the tactics. Longer range means it takes more time to aim, so less shells (as far as i can see from the results i gathered it's a rather steep formula, not unlike air range effectiveness, with a factor 5-7 between point-blank output and max range output). Tactics are a big factor: maintaining range means full broadsides, while advancing or retreating means only half or third of the guns fire. Combine those two and you see a healthy Nelson firing 4 16" shells only per round at 40.000 yards while advancing and same Nelson firing 45 16" shells plus hundreds of secondary/tertiary shells per round while maintaining range at 6.000 yards, both instances costing 4 MUN per round. This is the main reason why determining open-fire range is so important for fleets; you can go out of ammo before doing significant damage if it's too high, you can get plastered without return fire and go to the bottom with full MUN stockpiles if you put it too low.

Experience is no factor in firing speed, but it is in hit chance (fire control value).

In Vic II ships should start firing the round after the enemy does so (perhaps another round or two of delay if they're somehow suprised). That was what happened in pretty much every WWII surface naval combat. Under the rules as they are opening fire more than a couple thousand yards closer than the enemy is absolutely devastating.

• 2 weeks later...

New map:

victory-map-diplomacy-87t65.png

- Finland has regrouped his army in front of Moscow and rebased a part of its airforce.

- Norway has advanced further to the south. Iceland has been quiet for a few turns. We take this that he has other things on his mind, or that he is preparing something big.

- The air battle in Algeria continues. Half of that country is now working for the Transjordanese airforce, but that is not holding the other half, Morocco and the Tunisian exiles back.

- A first for this game: Turkey has been attacked!

- Any news from the Western front?

- 9 turns before the liberation of xNizwa

- The air battle in Algeria continues. Half of that country is now working for the Transjordanese airforce, but that is not holding the other half, Morocco and the Tunisian exiles back.

623 pop already conquered in Algeria. And probably another 500+ pop in the rest of the country. Wow, but Algeria has some potential. Never realized it started with that much pop and possibilities.

In my opinion it is the best country in the game. And a fearsome opponent when played by a capable player with the added strength of Morocco behind him. I still hold on to the last turn report for Algeria in Dutch game #2. That was before the production of air points was halved.

Alegria is most certainly a formidible position.....in any game and even with less capable players running the position. The amount of resources available to the vast amount of population is incredible. I am surpised it has not won more times.