Rolling Thunder Forums

More Newby Questions

ali-t-akua

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More newby questions from a newby...

1) How do the Resourse Yield Ratings of a planet correlate to the number of Mines/Installations I build to extract them? e.g. Is it worthwhile to build 100 Coal mines when the Yield Rating of Coal is 50?

2) The ORB order states that my population is 543,326. However, the Colony Report states that Population Qty = 8,635 ! Any ideas ???

3) In the Shipyard Report is a small build queue. I see Pathfinder class Corvettes / Fleet Explorers / Fleet Scouts all with the same build priority. I assume I have only the Fleet Scout design at game start. So why are the other 2 designs in the queue?

TIA

:beer: Empress Ykrellin cla Nogra'at - Clan of Xymox

Empress Ykrellin cla Nogra'at, Aloha to you and your people

As a newbie myself, I have faced the same questions you present. Here is what I have learned.

1) How do the Resourse Yield Ratings of a planet correlate to the number of Mines/Installations I build to extract them? e.g. Is it worthwhile to build 100 Coal mines when the Yield Rating of Coal is 50?

I have been told there are different formulas. I am use m=5(y-21) where m is the number of mines and y is the yield. You can also use m=5y but this ignores the fact that at a certain point it is more efficient to build stripmines and ICs.

2) The ORB order states that my population is 543,326. However, the Colony Report states that Population Qty = 8,635 ! Any ideas ???

The first number is your total population. The second number is your unempolyed population which is available to be used in building complexes, converting to colonists and troops, etc.

3) In the Shipyard Report is a small build queue. I see Pathfinder class Corvettes / Fleet Explorers / Fleet Scouts all with the same build priority. I assume I have only the Fleet Scout design at game start. So why are the other 2 designs in the queue?

This is a mystery. I had Fleet Explorer/Fleet Scout for the Pathfinder class. I dont know where the Corvette came from. It turned out that there are only 5 ships assigned to the shipyard. I think this is a bug in the set up routine.

In SN2 you could detect neutrals by doing a system scan. Just recently I realized that my homeworld did not show up as being occupied on my startup turn.

Do neutrals show up during the SS or will they show up when I do a PMAP, GEO, CSV? The only order I don't do at the planets is the ORB, please don't tell me you only detect them with the ORB order.

Chairman Luri Keen

I am working on my turn tonight so lots of questions keep popping up.

I notice that in the rules that when you want to land ground forces, you need to drop a Colony Beacon to form a Pop group, then create an Army and then transfer troops from the Pop group to the Army. (I am assuming that you use OC for disembarking the troops since there is no disembark order.) I also have noticed that there is an EAF order that allows you to move divisions from an Army to troop berthings.

1. Is this really how it works or has it changed since the rules were written?

2. Does that Army in the EAF orderstay on the planets surface?

2. Can I also use the LC order for embarking troops from a pop group?

Mahalo :D

I am working on my turn tonight so lots of questions keep popping up.

I notice that in the rules that when you want to land ground forces, you need to drop a Colony Beacon to form a Pop group, then create an Army and then transfer troops from the Pop group to the Army. (I am assuming that you use OC for disembarking the troops since there is no disembark order.) I also have noticed that there is an EAF order that allows you to move divisions from an Army to troop berthings.

1. Is this really how it works or has it changed since the rules were written?

2. Does that Army in the EAF orderstay on the planets surface?

2. Can I also use the LC order for embarking troops from a pop group?

Mahalo :D

to answer your questions

1. Yup! that pretty much describes it

2. EAF loads the Army onto the fleet but it takes an AP to do so. If the troops are in the Pop Center a LC order will to the trick(and save the AP) so if you plan on loading the troops onto a fleet when you build them don't DIV them into an army let them sit in the POP center and LC them(however in the POP Center they will not be much good defending the planet. The choice is yours

3. See #2

Finnally yes an OC order will drop the troops to a POP center where you can DIV them and then GATK

Hope that was Clear

• 4 years later...

Stupid question from someone who's been around long enough to know better (but I've never had to do it before):

What's the easiest way to insert orders into an existing convoy? I'm guessing if I CNVR, type in the new orders, and CNVR again, they'll be appended to the existing list? Then I could ECNV to get them where I want them. But I don't actually know that CNVR will append. It could overwrite. Help?